Inter-design-layer connections to EXT objects are lost/disconnected when moving devices

elc

not sure about a clear pattern, but when I move devices that have external signals (EXT) connected to them, (some?) connections are lost/disconnected (00:13). And the undo (CTRL-Z) function can't correct it. Neither does Tools>Reload PIOs. I have to reload the backup file.

(FYI: I am using these external signals as temporary devices when cables at the other end are not connected yet.)

As I can't send my project file I tried to get the same error in a new file, but I guess it has to do with file size or amount of connections/ layers?
(Question on the side out of curiosity: Has ConnectCAD been used for "large scale systems"? (e.g. a broadcast station, OB Van or 500 bed hotel?)

Main problem is, that I might see the error, when it's already to late and there are 3 file saves and a few hours of work in between. 😕

update:
as a workaround/alternative I am using temporary devices that I connect to instead of EXT devices. moving them around seems to be less of a problem.
but now I noticed that when I move e.g. 8 devices with 12 connections some connections are lost too. but only when I box select everything (devices and circuits). when I box select only the devices the connections remain intact.

really hope, there is a fix for this or at least an explaination of what I am doing wrong.
being able to move around devices without having to worry about lost connections is kind of important. IMHO

thanks,

george

Thanks @Nikolay Zhelyazkov

1 hour ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Could it be that you have arrow circuits and you select both devices and only one end of the arrow? Or some combination like that?

The connections are "automatic arrow circuits" since source (e.g. a regular device) and destination (EXT device) are on separate design layers, so selecting both devices but only one end of the arrow connections is impossible, I think.

2 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

It would be great if you can send me a test file with steps showing how to reproduce the problem.

I try, but as I said: reproducing the error in a new file didn't work. that's why I thought it might have to do with the amount of layers, devices etc. I don't know. I give it another try.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 minutes ago, elc said:

The connections are "automatic arrow circuits" since source (e.g. a regular device) and destination (EXT device) are on separate design layers, so selecting both devices but only one end of the arrow connections is impossible, I think.

- Actually, having the devices on separate layers is the only case when you can select only one of the circuit ends. So maybe this is what is going on on your side?

16 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Actually, having the devices on separate layers is the only case when you can select only one of the circuit ends. So maybe this is what is going on on your side?

maybe I mis-understood but you asked if I selected *both* devices but only *one* circuit, which I probably didn't. Because they are on seperate layers I select *one* device and *one* arrow circuit, right? That should be normal? At least that is what I am doing all the time when moving objects connected to other off-layer devices.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I meant, if you have 2 devices on separate layers connected with a single circuit, then you have 4 objects total = 2 devices + 2 circuits (source and destination). If you select both devices and only one of the circuits there might be problems. But it seems like this is not what you are doing. I do not know what could be causing this. If you find consistent steps to reproduce it, please let me know so that I can check what is going on.

• Like 1

still didnt have time to create a file showing this issue. but it looks like I am not alone in this. 😉 ...

On 2/5/2021 at 5:29 PM, SamWilliams said:

Also when selecting large numbers of arrow connections on a single page it will highlight all devices but will sometimes detatch arrow connections or datatags which would normally move relatively with the device. (Annoyingly its not always that this happens).