PDF size

Hi

Anyone got a good workflow for getting PDF export sizes down?

I do A3 sized sheets and a lot of pages and the PDFs look great but are unmailable.

I can recompress it with acrobat pro but its a bit clunky. There are some online solutions I think

Anyway, would love to hear if anyone has ideas

Thank you

HI

Drawings with elevations (section viewports) tend to be heavy. We often use renderworks or shaded backround render and hidden line foreground render. 

Under publish, pdf options, setting the file size reduction to High often solve the problem.

The vector from the foreground render is crisp although the image background is softer. 

686059834_Skjermbilde2022-03-24kl_15_55_07.thumb.png.50d25ef7edf7023edc033f43b34901cb.png

• Like 1

Do you have large(r) images in your files? If yes then that may also be part of the problem because Vectorworks used to export the entire image even if it is cropped in a viewport and this may still be the case. In that case recompressing alone wil not be sufficient, then you will also need to use a PDF editor to discard all (image) content outside the page/clipping boundary as well, which may then reduce the file size even more.

I would suggest to keep the compression at default settings (i.e. higher quality than maximum compression) and change the resolution and compression in a PDF editor, if the result is not satisfying then you can redo this with less aggressive settings without having to re-export the whole document from Vectorworks.

5 hours ago, Art V said:

Do you have large(r) images in your files? If yes then that may also be part of the problem because Vectorworks used to export the entire image even if it is cropped in a viewport and this may still be the case. In that case recompressing alone wil not be sufficient, then you will also need to use a PDF editor to discard all (image) content outside the page/clipping boundary as well, which may then reduce the file size even more.

I would suggest to keep the compression at default settings (i.e. higher quality than maximum compression) and change the resolution and compression in a PDF editor, if the result is not satisfying then you can redo this with less aggressive settings without having to re-export the whole document from Vectorworks.

Yep, that's still a problem, I tile my images and put each tile in it's own class (partly for pdfing, also for other reasons).

Also don't have your pixel density greater than user vie density, e.g. degrading an image to knock it's size down. Also vectorizing some (low colour count) images can get much improvement.

On 3/24/2022 at 6:03 PM, Tom W. said:

iLovePDF.com was recommended here by someone a while back + I've been using it ever since

Thats actually where I landed after posting. Works great!

I actually have no images at all. Its all a mix of wireframe and shaded/openGL graphics on 300 dpi sheets. 8 pages = 27mb.

I think the above mention service is really terrific, thats how I do it now. Same 8 pages = 4.5mb, no visible loss.

Cheers

Edited by fuberator