Vectorworks Cloud Services - auto-save, backups and syncing issues after crash

livespace josha

Question

Trying to detail out the issue I had...can't quite put a timeline on it, but something didn't back-up or sync properly.

- Was working on 2 files that are all stored in my VCS folder.

- My VCS folder is on my hard drive (was getting too may conflict errors trying to integrate with dropbox, so I abandoned that idea)

- I leave the VCS application running all the time. 

- VWX is set to auto-save and back-up every 25 operations to a generic dropbox folder.

VWX crashed. 

I re-opened the files, and the state was much older than 25 operations on both of them...my guess is maybe 150-200? I also found my back-up files were significantly out-of-date too. 

The web portal for our VCS also had the out-of-date files. 

The VCS app showed everything was up-to-date, but my files were not listed. I closed and re-opened the VCS app, and the syncing resumed.

I also noticed in doing some digging that the file only uploads to VCS when you close it. Is this correct? How does the file behave if the application crashes? 

After I re-opened the file, I worked on it and watched the backup folder. This time, it seemed to behave properly. 

If I had to guess...the auto-save/backup wasn't working properly and the file didn't save to VCS because it crashed?

6 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks for reporting this, Josh. We are investigating the logs and trying to figure out the exact issue. 

By default VCS desktop app would not sync backup files. If you'd like to enable that it can be done through the settings. The app will also not sync files that are currently opened in Vectorworks to prevent excessive bandwidth and storage use. You correctly pointed out that if Vectorworks crashes the file will not be synced (since there is a hidden .lck file that was not cleared because of the crash). If you open and close the file again in Vectorworks it should resume regular sync. 

When you say that "- VWX is set to auto-save and back-up every 25 operations to a generic dropbox folder." - do you mean that the backups are saved in Dropbox or are they saved in VCS folder?

Thanks @Lyuben,

On your first point...if after a crash, I re-open the file from VCS. Will be the last sync'd state, not the most recent saved state? Does this "saved" file only get uploaded(sync'd) when I close the file?

By my settings, every 25 operations the file should have been saving. I lost way more than 25 operations...

I have my backups store to a generic dropbox folder buried pretty deep (not VCS folder). I only really have to access them when I mess up really badly or the software crashes. 

When you re-open the file after a crash it should be the most recent saved state. And yes - the most recent file will get uploaded when you close the file. You can also force the sync process form the desktop app at any time by expanding the Sync activity panel:

image.png

@Lyuben

On 3/25/2022 at 7:11 AM, Lyuben said:

When you re-open the file after a crash it should be the most recent saved state.

this is 100% NOT the case! VCS app running, and file still set to autosave. I just had another crash, and the most recently saved version was from 4 hours ago.

Luckily, my backup file worked correctly this time. Otherwise, I probably would have lost about 2.5-3 hours of work. 

Gonna ditch the idea of VSC...to risky to use reliably. I'll go back to just syncing to dropbox, and move it over to VSC if I have to do cloud renders. 

Hello @livespace josha Sorry for the trouble you are experiencing.  If I am reading this right, autosave is set to a Dropbox folder and VCS is not integrated with Drop box.  If that is the case the only thing that VCS would sync up to the cloud from your local drive would be any manual saves you make when using VW on the VW files in their non-backup locations.  Was it 4 hours between manual saves of these files, or are you saying you saved these multiple times manually in those 4 hours?  If you saved the files locally they will be up to date locally, the extra step would be for the VCS desktop app to sync them from your local drive to the cloud and that should happen when these files are not opened in VW anymore.

Also, what operations are you doing when Vectorworks is crashing?