Import and edit .eps or .svg files?

CalebOtis

Question

16 answers to this question

Sometimes I can convert an imported PDF (with snap to geometry activated) into a group and then find most of the geometry in vector format within that group.

The problem is that 2D geometry in VW does not support Bezier curves with handles - like in Illustrator. So it has to be translated somehow.

Except for the great 'Hide Edge' feature, the 2D technology in Vectorworks has not been updated since 2008 – I guess because it is not a huge selling point for architects.

Besides true beziers with control handles – or at least weighted beziers similar to nurbs, a few parametric 2D shapes like stars and arrows would also be nice.

Edited by Kaare Baekgaard
5 minutes ago, Vlado said:

@Kaare Baekgaard @Piotr Karczewski Can you send an example file? I'm not sure I fully understand the problem, as Vectorworks does support Bezier curves, and it does support editing it via handles [Reshape tool]. It sounds like the problem is with PDF importing these curves, right?

I am sure I have a VE on this or similar somewhere along the way. VWX used to import the native AI file format as vector art. Somewhere along the way VWX lost that ability. So, once upon a time, I could design a logo in AI, import into VWX and manipulate/detail for signage, as one example.

Currently, I have to retrace any graphic creating an opportunity for error.

• Like 1
On 2/23/2023 at 6:38 PM, Vlado said:

@Kaare Baekgaard @Piotr Karczewski Can you send an example file? I'm not sure I fully understand the problem, as Vectorworks does support Bezier curves, and it does support editing it via handles [Reshape tool]. It sounds like the problem is with PDF importing these curves, right?

@Vlado for me its quite important to have an ability to import .svg (vector graphic) files. I use them to create 3d models such as wall reliefs.

For now on I have to use Inkscape to export it to .dwg and than import the file in Vectorworks. It may cause some errors as @Kevin Allen mentioned. 

10 minutes ago, Piotr Karczewski said:

For now on I have to use Inkscape to export it to .dwg and than import the file in Vectorworks. It may cause some errors as @Kevin Allen mentioned. 

Adobe Illustrator exports to dwg, but I find that export/import process often imperfect. This is especially true of the deign includes elegant curves that DWG converts to many short lines.

• Like 1

Just so everyone is aware: when importing DWG/DXF formats, the import setting called "2D/3D Conversion Resolution" under the Conversion pane actually affects the quality/accuracy of any curved geometry. If your project has any curves, make sure this is always set to "Very High."

I only recently learned this. Everywhere else in the program, this setting only affects the conversion of curves into faceted straight lines. However, in the case of DWG/DXF it somehow affects the "quality" of curves too. I wouldn't have thought this to be the case, since the curves aren't being converted into facets, they're being imported as curves. Regardless, this setting affects their accuracy.

While I think it's weird and poorly implemented, I simply wanted to share the info.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
On 2/26/2023 at 3:57 PM, Piotr Karczewski said:

Sorry for the wait.

I am somewhat surprised, that you would not immediately know the difference between true beziers and the much more rudimentary Vectorworks variety.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/i8iTd.gif

I can draw planar shapes with 3D nurbs, that I cannot possibly duplicate using Vectorworks antiquated 2D interface – which struggles to replicate almost everything - even a cross-section of the humble egg.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 hours ago, Kaare Baekgaard said:

I am somewhat surprised, that you would not immediately know the difference between true beziers and the much more rudimentary Vectorworks variety.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/i8iTd.gif

@Kaare Baekgaard I might be misunderstanding it, but this animation looks like edit convenience. Both nurbs are standard (rudimentary) besier [from what I can see] but the mode allows editing the two curve vertices around a corner vertex at the same time, giving you the chance to preserve smoothness through the corner vertex. But I do understand that this is a convenience, that would be nice to add to our tool too.

19 hours ago, Vlado said:

@Kaare Baekgaard I might be misunderstanding it, but this animation looks like edit convenience. Both nurbs are standard (rudimentary) besier [from what I can see] but the mode allows editing the two curve vertices around a corner vertex at the same time, giving you the chance to preserve smoothness through the corner vertex. But I do understand that this is a convenience, that would be nice to add to our tool too.

If I understand it correctly @Kaare Baekgaard and I are talking about two different things connected with the same needs:
1. @Kaare Baekgaard wants to have exact reproduction of the shapes and the way how ther cuold be modified while importing complex shapes to Vectorworks
and

2. I would like to aske if it will be possible to implement vector image import such as .svg file which I use for design and wall relief.

21 hours ago, Vlado said:

Yes, your understanding is incomplete, Vlado. The length of the editing nodes changes the weight of the beziers - much as you can change the weight of nurbs points in the OIP, but more intuitive and powerful. This is why VW cannot directly translate Adobe Illustrator beziers into VW beziers – Illustrator beziers have more information. And this is why what Piotr wants "I would like to aske if it will be possible to implement vector image import such as .svg" – and what I want – is interconnected.

Edited by Kaare Baekgaard
  • Like 2