Audio Array Tool - please enable GPU processing

Projx_CA

Question

The Audio Array tool in Spotlight is very useful, but also very difficult to work with on complex arrays.

Processing time on the CPU for a single array with 3 types of boxes can take 10 minutes or more, with the entire program being unusable during that period. 

GPU is not enabled for this, even if modified in Shaded mode. 

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Projx_CA said:

The Audio Array tool in Spotlight is very useful, but also very difficult to work with on complex arrays.

Processing time on the CPU for a single array with 3 types of boxes can take 10 minutes or more, with the entire program being unusable during that period. 

GPU is not enabled for this, even if modified in Shaded mode. 

You're running in Symbol mode, correct?  If so, something that might help is to switch to Library/Catalog mode when initially building and placing arrays.  Then, switch to Symbol mode for final drawings.  That will at least help you to work quicker until you need more detailed models.  Another option that may or may not be acceptable is to use less detailed Symbols.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Thank you very much for this suggestion!

I was using Symbol mode.

The Symbols are easily duplicated into the Generic Catalog,  and saving them with their own name. 

Populating was almost instantaneous.  And the file size was reduced by 300%!

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 11.40.37.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 11.40.54.png

Edited by Projx_CA
On 3/23/2022 at 2:27 PM, C. Andrew Dunning said:

...and...if the Symbol name and Catalog/Library name are the same the tools will automatically grab the right "other" when you switch modes.

Whoa... I need to write this over and over again on a chalkboard, so I'll never forget it! I bet you even have a fancy script to execute this in one sweep... 

9 minutes ago, C. Andrew Dunning said:

Not a fancy extra script but hard-coded into the tools...

I meant to swap all speaker / array objects at once, regardless of make & model from the mains to the monitors to the fills… I guess what you’re saying is to select similar and then let the tool do the work?

Edited by Mark Aceto