Design Layer Order

I have noticed this too and I'm fairly certain this is a new behavior that I think occurred in either version 2020 or 2021.

New design layers used to insert themselves at the bottom of the stack list but now they become #1 in the stacking order incrementing the existing layer stack numbers by 1.

2 hours ago, LarryO said:

I have noticed this too and I'm fairly certain this is a new behavior that I think occurred in either version 2020 or 2021.

New design layers used to insert themselves at the bottom of the stack list but now they become #1 in the stacking order incrementing the existing layer stack numbers by 1.

are you referring to duplicating a design layer or creating a new design layer.  If the latter, you have the option to select what order # the new design layer will have, the default is #1.

Creating a new layer, not duplication. It is something subtle, and could be some habit I have picked too that I've not noticed yet.

I know my older 2013 version creates a new design layer immediately above the selected one when the stack order is ascending downward, and at the top of the list if no layer is selected. If one reverses the stack new ones go below but at no point was I able to get the new layer to become the largest increment at the bottom of the list. ie 5 existing layers, add new layer and existing number 5 is always re-sequenced as number 6.

I'm thinking that maybe in the past that I've always opened the dialog and a layer was selected but now it's not or I'm deselecting it before pressing new.

Ahh, too much thinking about nuances. Time to move on. hehe