Huge frames around windows. Bug?

Ramon PG

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just happened today. Huge frames around doors, too.

It happened when I edited an existing door in 3D (isometric) in order to make it solid (no glass). It then showed a strange condition as far as wall healing. I decided to try and see if turning on the trim option would cause the same effect as in window. And it did.

Now, editing any existing door will affect the wall heal in 3D.

VW 12 was definitely not ready for shipping.

Going back to 11.5 will be a terrible time waster for me.

[ 11-23-2005, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]

A temporary way around the huge border bug is this. There may be others.

1. Go into the Annotations mode in the VP.

2. Manually draw the windows.

3. Deselect the VPs window class.

4. Update VP and you'll see that the huge borders have gone away and an opening now exists where the window should be. At least it (the opening) has the correct location and height. Doesn't work for renderings but helps get the job done and paid.

Curioser and Curioser

At the risk of this appearing as my own personal blog...

If you have the huge border bug:

Select the huge-bordered window and go to Obj Info>Settings>View>Line Weights and select 00 line weight for Trim nothing seems to happen. But, when you go back to the drawing the huge border has DISAPPEARED!!!

And it then it all becomes curioser because if you select Hidden Line rendering the Trim to you which you gave the 00 weight still shows in the elevation/section!!!!

Curioser and curioser... but, at least no huge border.

PS: ALSO, GOOD NEWS: Seems like the huge borders do not appear in new documents even when copy-pasting walls and windows into them from affected docs.

[ 11-28-2005, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry to say that yes this border problem is a bug that is being fixed at this moment. Those of you who are seeing very large borders I'm assuming you are working in something like meters or in feet. Working with smaller units will calm this effect but not eliminate it. This is a units problem that I overlooked. This will definitely be fixed by 12.0.1. Also the hidden line rendering problems have been addressed and will also be in the fixes for 12.0.1.

Sorry for the inconvenience at this point in time.

Sincerely,

Dave Fortin.

Glad to hear this is an acknowledged bug, but I want to clear up one detail. Several posters seemed to imply that the big border bug (bbb) occurs with previous version files opened in VW12, which is true, however, I have also had the same problem with new VW12 files. Simply create a new file in VW12, add a wall, add a window, look at it in elevation or iso and the (bbb) is back.

Thanks for the suggestion to convert window pio elements to symbols to solve the big border bug, however, that will mean duplicate (or triplicate) effort in the future to delete the window symbols and replace them with pio's in the future. In my experience, window sizes, brands, casings, etc. change frequently during the design and construction drawings process. The beauty of the pio is the ability to make changes as the work proceeds. For the time being, it will be easier for me to go back to VW 11.5.1 until there is a bug fix.

• 2 months later...

Robert,

I have tried many combinations of windows and doors in new files with 12.0.1, and the bug does not appear to have gone away. In fact, in some cases it appears to have gotten worse.

I updated the plug in objects, and the border around windows with trim has gotten smaller, but is indeed still there. Furthermore, trim does not appear correctly on a door in an existing file. It may or may not show the trim in wireframe rendering, but when you render the drawing, the trim disappears and the border is visible on the wall behind where the trim should be. It even looks like the jambs/frame is extended beyond the wall, but no trim. I have not used the new release long enough to know the whole story, but I have to admit that my first impression of this release is fairly low.

Is there anywhere we can see a full list of the bug fixes in this release? It's not in the Release Notes in the Vectorworks 12 folder like it implies it should be.

Thanks.

- posted 11-28-2005 10:50 AM

for dfortin

This is a units problem that I overlooked. This will definitely be fixed by 12.0.1. [Eek!] Also the hidden line rendering problems have been addressed and will also be in the fixes for 12.0.1. [Roll Eyes]

Sorry for the inconvenience at this point in time.

Sincerely,

Dave Fortin.

Has anyone seen these issues resolved in 12.0.1?

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

Ramon, can you elaborate on your "new problems"?

Sure.

And please, I need some pointers on how to totally uninstall 12.0.1 in order to start from scratch and run side by side comparisons. Reinstalled 12.0.0 is accesssing some of the new features (and problems, mainly Section Viewports not being able to render in Renderworks anymore, just hidden line).

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/cgi/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=001902

[ 02-17-2006, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]

I have submitted a file to "bugSubmit" along with a description which you can review in the General Discussions forum. The test file I created is a new VW 12.0.1 file with a single wall with a single window. I made the window trim 4" wide on one side and 12" wide on the other side (to make the problem more obvious) with no sill trim. The big border renders on all 4 sides including the sill in Final Quality RenderWorks, but appears to render correctly in Hidden Line.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Compusam, I took a look at your file. I opened it in my copy of 12.0.1, saw your bug (wide gray band around the window that should be shingled), reset the wall (which also resets the window), and the problem disappeared, i.e. the band around the window retextured with horizontal shingles to match the wall.

So I think what is happening here is something questionable about your installation.

Are you on Mac or PC? If you select your VectorWorks application after updating, what build number does it have? (This can be obtained by running a "Get Info" (mac) or "Properties" (win) on the application file. This 5-digit number also shows up in the "About VectorWorks" command.

• 2 weeks later...

The windows PIO in VW 12.0.1 is flawed (and possibly the door PIO as well). I do not think that it is productive for VW users to suck on eggs apologizing for their complaints. I bought VW 12 which is TOTALLY USELESS because of this bug. I am continuing to "work" with VW 11.5, but my confidence in upgrading in the future has been unalterably flawed.

quote:

Originally posted by compusam:

The windows PIO in VW 12.0.1 is flawed (and possibly the door PIO as well). I do not think that it is productive for VW users to suck on eggs apologizing for their complaints. I bought VW 12 which is TOTALLY USELESS because of this bug. I am continuing to "work" with VW 11.5, but my confidence in upgrading in the future has been unalterably flawed.

Compusam:

Did you delete all doors and windows and use v12 built-in ones? At least it seems to have worked for me in 12.0.0

Seems, to me at least, that 12.0.0 and 12.01 mandated new stock drawings be used and not converted ones. And even if 12 is a fantasatic leap forward, it wasn't ready for prime time. Can't believe none of this came up with external beta testers, some of whom I wonder, probably participate in this forum.

Compusam:

Also try this-

Select the huge-bordered window and go to Obj Info>Settings>View>Line Weights and select 00 line weight for Trim. Nothing seems to happen. But, when you go back to the drawing the huge border has DISAPPEARED!!!

[ 02-28-2006, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]