What is the difference between the following 2 - a. Directly reference in dwg file b. Import dwg file into vw, then, reference vw file to the new vs file

Rishie

Personally, I like the Shuttle file workflow, but really it's user preference.  Here are some comments:

1.  Import dwg into blank vwx file (Shuttle file). Reference Shuttle as Design Layer VP into the Project file:

Pros

• The (often myriad) class list of the dwg file stays in the vwx Shuttle file.  DWG classes are not added to the class list in the vwx project file.
  • If the dwg info is updated, it can replace the old or add as a new layer in the shuttle file. Or create new Shuttle, add new DLVP reference to the project file.
  • DLVP can be moved, rotated eg to match project North.
  • Or, eg, if DLVP references a vwx architecture file into a vwx Site file, move around the DVLP to explore location/position/elevation options without altering the Arch file.

Cons

• Referenced file must be protected from changes in file name/location, etc to prevent breaking the reference.
  • Design Layer VP in Project can have only one visibility status.
  • View of alternate layer/class visibility requires edit of the DLVP class/layer status. (this may be a Pro feature rather than Con)
  • Several simultaneous visibility options require additional separate DLVPs with varying Class/Layer status, probably on additional dedicated Design Layers. (may be a Pro rather than a Con)
  • Changes to Shuttle geometry requires Open Shuttle, perform edits, Save, return to the Project, update the ref, verify meets expectations.

2.  Import dwg into vwx Project file

Pros

• All dwg geometry directly available in Project for edits
  • No need to manage reference workflow

Cons

• All dwg classes are added to Project class list (note - import can include a prefix to these class names)
  • All those classes may also introduce naming conflicts
  • Crash during import could mess up Project file.  Save vwx prior to dwg import.

Lots more to this, but that's a start

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
Project - That starts with P. That rhymes with T. That stands for TROUBLE!
  • Like 4

@Joao Fontes The option to import dwg as a reference creates a Design Layer Viewport. The same pros/cons/workflow applies, almost, as the shuttle technique described above.  Use the Import>Single dwg to start.  In the Import dialog, enable the Reference options near bottom of the dialog and follow the prompts.  A DVLP is created in the vwx file.  If the dwg creator provides an updated version, it probably arrives as a new separate dwg.

Unless there is a way to update the orig dwg, then a new import as a new reference would be required.  I think.  I have no way to test, but perhaps? If new dwg file name is same as the orig dwg file name, the old dwg could be archived and replaced with the new.  Reference would update to the new data.  If the file names change, eg with altered version or date info, the reference would be broken.

Anyone have experience with this?

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw

Anytime you import anything into an active working file you have the potential to mess something up. You have almost not control over anything that was done in the DWG file. The origin could be moved, it could have many unused/unneeded classes, objects far from the origin, etc.

By importing or referencing the DWG into a separate VW file which you then reference into your main VW file you have the opportunity to check for some of those problems before they become a problem.

A reference DWG should be safer than a direct DWG import since the classes are isolated.

But personally, it is not a risk I would want to take unless I was certain that the DWG contained only the information I wanted and that I wanted all of the information it contained. If I was working on one building and the DWG was the site model for a complete campus, I would want that isolated in a separate file so I could bring in just the parts that I needed.

Any way will work. It just depends on your level of comfort and risk.

• Like 1