New Mac Studio M1 Max or M1 Ultra Thoughts

Well it looks like for now the 27" Imac is not available for sale. With all this new jargon on the M1 max vs M1 Ultra which one is the best value for Vectorworks? Will the base model be able to handle large models and renderings, or should we be looking at the high end spec'd version with the M1 ultra. I think the studio has some real potential. 

Cons- Not user upgradable. No monitor. So I would have to purchases another monitor as the 27" has served as my main monitor. The 1500 display looks nice, but Id probably be more inclined to go with the M1 Ultra and just try and ultra wide 32 from another supplier. 

Curious what others do with their machines and how the studio is being received. Anyone planning on getting their hands on one soon?

Edited by HEengineering

i think there is another thread on this topic by @Christiaan.

I have similar questions.  what i want to do is get back to my Mac mini way of working...which was to plan on upgrading ever 2 years to a new mac mini but not have to keep replacing my monitors (that is why i never did the iMac route) 

so with that 2 year approach i just needed to keep myself happy for 2 years...then get new..

this way i'm not stressing about upgradeability.

it seems like this new computer will allow me to get back to my 2 year program.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, HEengineering said:

So I would have to purchases another monitor as the 27" has served as my main monitor. The 1500 display looks nice, but Id probably be more inclined to go with the M1 Ultra and just try and ultra wide 32 from another supplier. 

I've been considering this, but my concern is that after using the 27" iMac 5K display any lesser picture quality will be hard to work with.  That leaves only the Apple Studio and LG 5K as options.  They are close enough in price that with Apple's added features (ports, webcam, speakers) I would probably go that way.  At this point I'm going to wait and see what the next Mac Mini release will be before making a decision. 

I'm curious to hear if anyone else has gone from a 27" 5K iMac to another brand's 4K (Dell, BenQ, etc) and if they are happy with the change.   

• Like 2

My primary screen is a 5k iMac 27 and the second is an older 27. This is adequate.

At this point all,I care about is enough horse power to adequately render redshift and use TM.

it seems the economical route may be a new release of a mac mini.

Likely projects maxing at 400 or so MB.

Honestly, right now it is confusing.

On 3/18/2022 at 11:21 AM, E|FA said:

I've been considering this, but my concern is that after using the 27" iMac 5K display any lesser picture quality will be hard to work with.  That leaves only the Apple Studio and LG 5K as options.  They are close enough in price that with Apple's added features (ports, webcam, speakers) I would probably go that way.  At this point I'm going to wait and see what the next Mac Mini release will be before making a decision. 

I'm curious to hear if anyone else has gone from a 27" 5K iMac to another brand's 4K (Dell, BenQ, etc) and if they are happy with the change.   

We purchased a MacBook Pro 16" with the Max chip and 32 GB GPU. We run one LG 24" 4K monitor as well as the laptop screen. I really like the LG 4k monitor (found on the apple site) and will most likely purchase a second one. After seeing some initial reviews on the Mac studio I'm going to stay clear of it, there does not seem to be an easy way to remove dust from the cooling system. We recently lost a Imac Pro to a thermal event most likely caused by dust, logic board and cpu where damaged and not worth spending $3000 plus to repair it. At least with the Macbook Pro we can get inside the machine. We also have a 2012 cheese grater which still runs and is super easy to maintain.

• 4 weeks later...

My 27" iMac is long in the tooth and with the Apple announcement that they've no plans to come out with a larger iMac than the 24" I bit the bullet and ordered the Mac Studio Max. I pair my iMac with a second 5k monitor which worked well but am considering whether an upgrade to a 32" monitor using split screen might not save on desk real estate and also on cost. The 5K resolution has spoilt me and although I'm at an age where failing eyesight is a reality I wonder if the switch to 2160 resolution that seems to be the industry standard with the 32" monitor will be too much of a downgrade to bear. The iMac was incredible value, witnessed by how much Apple is now charging for the stand alone monitor. I'd appreciate hearing others' views on both split screen use instead of two monitors and on the perceptible difference between 32" 4k and 27" 5k.

1 hour ago, inveresk said:

My 27" iMac is long in the tooth and with the Apple announcement that they've no plans to come out with a larger iMac than the 24" I bit the bullet and ordered the Mac Studio Max. I pair my iMac with a second 5k monitor which worked well but am considering whether an upgrade to a 32" monitor using split screen might not save on desk real estate and also on cost. The 5K resolution has spoilt me and although I'm at an age where failing eyesight is a reality I wonder if the switch to 2160 resolution that seems to be the industry standard with the 32" monitor will be too much of a downgrade to bear. The iMac was incredible value, witnessed by how much Apple is now charging for the stand alone monitor. I'd appreciate hearing others' views on both split screen use instead of two monitors and on the perceptible difference between 32" 4k and 27" 5k.

I would rather have one high quality display like my 27” iMac than a giant display or a pair of lesser quality ones personally.  I find that it is unpleasant to regress on display quality to gain size.  I will switch between apps or run my iPad  for secondary uses if I really need to.  But I’m used to working off a 16” MBP for years, so I’m accustom to working within that constraint with an iPad to supplement when needed.  It’s all personal preference, but as your eyes age and you are interested in graphic color and accuracy, there is no substitute for quality.

• Like 1