Copy-Paste data in worksheets/tables not working

Hello all,

not sure, if this is a feature request, a bug report or just me being difficult 🙂

Why is it, that I can't use a simple copy paste function in a filtered list /database sub-rows (e.g. filter in 1 and the results in 1.1, 1.2, 1.3,...)
What I want to do is update object data in that list with data from an excel sheet by just copy-pasting values in a range. I can paste values in a single cell and I can paste a range into regular spreadsheets, but not a database spreadsheet. (No mention of it in the help either)

Why is that? Will this be fixed?

This appears to be a bug. I am able to paste into a range of database subrows, but not correctly directly from Excel. This is in VW2022.

If you copy from a range of cells in a VW Worksheet and paste them into a matching number of cells in database subrows they paste correctly.  If I try and paste from Excel they do not.

In a field formatted as Text every cell is filled with the value from the last cell of the copied Excel Range.

In a field formatted as Number nothing is pasted.

The behavior is the same for both PIO Record field and Custom Record Fields.

If you paste into a Worksheet range of Spreadsheet cells first you can then copy again and paste correctly into the database subrows.

I will submit a bug report.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot @Pat Stanford,
not sure, why I haven't tried that, but copying a range of cells from a worksheet to database subrows does work.

so, that works for me for now. although it is again an extra step to import from excel. so thanks for that bug report! 😉 

speaking of strange worksheet behaviours (related as I need to make sure that the cells are in the correct order):
VWs sorting works differently then the "rest" (only tested Excel, Google Table)
it sorts digits in text as numbers

2404L

3203L

55UH

is sorted as:

55UH

2404L

3203L

which is a problem when copying a range of cells (since I can't sort worksheets with the "VW sorting method", right?)

thanks,

george

I have not been able to find a way to sort differently in worksheets. 

The standard sort seems to be numeric followed by ascii characters. I think this was changes a few versions ago from strict "alphabetic" sorting so that  you didn't get sorts like.

5A

55B

I will put in an enhancement request for different sort algorithms.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Hello @Pat Stanford,

On 3/17/2022 at 7:42 PM, Pat Stanford said:

If you paste into a Worksheet range of Spreadsheet cells first you can then copy again and paste correctly into the database subrows.

just updated to SP3 and it seems like the copy-paste-function was modified somehow and I can't copy paste a range of cells spanning multiple (adjecent) columns from a spreadsheet to the database subrows. It only works for multiple cells in a single column. (and if I understand this correctly, Copy-Paste directly from Excel into the database subrows still doesn't work)

Is this another bug or this feature stripped?

best,

george

I also submitted a bug on this. 

VW responded confused as to how you were ever able to paste into multiple columns of a database as the design of database pasting is to only support a single column.

The request to paste into multiple columns of a database has been added as an enhancement request for some future version.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

okay. so, basically: they took out a working feature for SP4 to implement it as a new feature in "some future" version? that makes sense. 🙂

I hope copy-and-pasting directly from Excel to a database list instead of having to go through a static list will be added by VW along the way?

thanks for your help