Interior Perspective View

lindamon

I'm having a hard time getting any 3d view of my interior spaces. I use the "set 3d view" command but the perspective is waaay off. Its completely distorted. I've tried all the perspective setting : narrow, normal, wide. Its fustrating to me that there isn't a regular camera feature like most 3d programs. Its very difficult to get the shot you want. Is there anyone who has had better luck with this?

Linda. First off, you'll be very happy to hear that in version 12 there is a camera tool, and it seems to work well. Now, as for setting up perspectives with the set 3d view tool... If you're like me, you probably want to see all of your verticals be vertical. In order to achieve this you need to set the veiwer height and the look toward height the same (eg: set both at 5'10, or whatever). The interesting thing is that in real life, our "look toward" height is never the same as the height of our eyes, and geometrically, the verticals we see with our eyes are not actually vertical (they are skewed one way or the other) and our brains make the adjustment. Sometimes I can get an acceptable result if I set the the look toward *slightly* higher or lower than the viewer height (say, 6' / 5'). It takes a little trial and error, but if you're willing to play around with it I'm sure you'll have success.

[ 11-02-2005, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: CipesDesign ]

My company just dished out tons of money for version 11.5 not even 6 months ago and now this new version fixes all the things we are pulling our hair out about but will cost us another $620 bucks...I don't think that is an option right now.

Any advice using the version I have?

Linda, Did you know that you can set the perspective manually? Maybe what you need to do is start with an isometric view and just tweak it a bit. Again, if you think about it, as you are looking up at a tall building there is vanishing point, right? The vertical lines actually do appear closer to each other the further away they are. Here are a couple links to the VW's Gallery which illustrate the point, as well as the possibilities... From Gallery 1 From Gallery 2 Keep on trying. These things take time and skill to produce (they are not automatic). That's why we get the "big bucks" ;-)

Linda, one other little trick: you might consider removing one (or more) walls from the model, so that you can back up and view it from a greater distance (without the walls in the way). This would be sort of like a "shadow box" or a stage set, and might allow the viewer to comprehend the context better. Hope that helps...

Thanks Peter,

I understand that naturally the lines will not be perfectly vertical...thats the whole idea of a perspective image, but the images I was producing were so distored that it stretched everything completely at an angle and across the whole page. Its wasn't a natural perspective at all. I'm going to try some of your suggestions and see if I make any progress. The gallery images you linked were exactly what I want to achieve...but I feel like I need a magic hat to produce them. I appreciate your help. I'll keep trying.

Linda

quote:

Originally posted by lindamon:

Thanks Peter,

I understand that naturally the lines will not be perfectly vertical...thats the whole idea of a perspective image, but the images...

Linda

This is what I do. For straight vertical lines I suggest you start with an elevation from a Model.

Go to Views>Standard Views>Front (That settles the height issue for the moment. You can use the Flyover Tool or Translate View Too if you want to change the direction of view or height of the observer. Give it a try.

Then chose Views>Rendering>Fast Renderworks

Then go to Views>Perspective>Normal Perspective. Zoom in or out as required to get a comfortable size on screen.

Now for the cool part, choose the Walkthrough Tool and click on the center of the page and drag up or down, left or right, SLOWLY.

You'll be able to move around effortlessly. I still do not use applied textures but this, and Isometrics, is a great way of looking at and understanding your design.

[ 11-06-2005, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Ramon PG ]