Invisible skylights

seanSF&A

After much trial and error I have managed to turn a windoor hybrid into a "velux" window 3D symbol and placed it into the roof (its strange that there is not one packaged with VWA). However the problem I now have is that although I can see the lines of the window in wire frame, I cannot see the window when rendered (std openGL) it just disapears leaving the cut out in the roof. I have tried editing the symbol but have not found a way of keeping it visible in rendered view. Can some one please tell me what I need to do?

Sean, I have never tried the exact procedure you describe but I do have a couple ideas. First, sometimes when an object is not showing up in a rendering it is because the fill of the object (or maybe of part of the object) is set to none. Second, another reason may have to do with have a part or all of the skylight being placed into a class that is set to invisible in your current (possibly saved) view. Third, I have successfully constructed basic skylights pretty quickly using 3d extrudes (it actually only requires two pieces for a basic one, the frame and the glass). Then all that is needed is to create the hole in your roof and place the modeled skylight in the proper position over the hole. HTH's :-)

To add to what Peter said for his second reason. The object itself can have one class, but it is a group. When you go to edit view, you may find that it's components are of a different class.

I try to make the subcomponents of the none class to avoid this. You must always have the none class visible in your views or things may dissapear.

Sean - I actually have symbols for all of the Velux windows sold in Australia. I modelled them myself several years back.

I inserted one into a roof and had exactly your problem. The Velux window was visible in wireframe. However it was not visible in either an Open Gl render or a RenderWorks render.

As soon as I put another instance into the drawing which was not inserted into the roof they both became visible in both the Open GL and the RenderWorks render.

It seems as if there is a glitch whereby the new classes aren't completely recognised when a symbol containing new classes is inserted into a roof object before it has been imported into the drawing and placed elsewhere.

PS - they are fairly simple symbols. I will send them to VectorDepot so that they can be made available to whoever wants them.

[ 10-28-2005, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

Thanks Mike, I will look for those on Vectordepot. I am about to specify some Velux units and not having to model them will be a big help.

BTW, your post got me thinking. I believe that I have had the same dissappearing skylight experience. Some of my skylights showed up but some were just holes in the roof.

Kevin - it is wierd the way it happens. Hopefully its been fixed for VW 12. Roof Objects look like they have been significantly improved.

VectorDepot may take some time to add them to their download sections, so if you need them more quickly send me a PM with your email address and version and I will email them off to you. Please note that they are fairly simple symbols, but are accurate to size, and because we are metric in Australia the drawing units and codes reflect this.

I am a little bit late but I got the same problem and I did the same trick that Mike did, I mean "As soon as I put another instance into the drawing which was not inserted into the roof they both became visible in both the Open GL and the RenderWorks render" The problem is you got the second symbol into every 3D view so you have to move it or them far enough into that view in order to print that view. But Mike said it is fixed for VW 12 is it the only way to fix it ?

JP - you are right, and I got it wrong. I just tried it again and had the same result you reported.

I placed a symbol in the roof as a skylight and then open GL rendered in an isometric view - the symbol is not visible in either Open GL or RenderWorks rendering mode. (It is visible in the other rendering modes though.)

If you place another instance of the symbol anywhere else in drawing and re-render the drawing the symbol in the roof as a skylight immediately becomes visible. Delete the extra symbol and the symbol in the roof as a skylight immediately becomes invisible again.

Interestingly though if this same symbol is inserted as a dormer it is visible. It only becomes invisible when it is a skylight and it there is no other instance in the drawing. If you have another one inserted in the roof as a dormer the skylight one becomes visible. Definately wierd.

Hi Mike

Exactly- I got the same problem with RenderWorks and the same wrongdoing happens also in Viewport,remove the second symbol and the skylight disappears everywhere. But it works as a dormer and nobody from Nemetscheck to tell us what to do ?I will upgrade some day but I have some plugins like windoor11 and it is not easy to keep working the same day on a big project

have a nice day