Non hybrid videoscreen

fuberator

Question

Hi

We have had many conversations here about the difficulties of modern video projection design in vectorworks. The hybrid nature of the video screen tool seems to require a linear wall projection, which is very rarely the case in these days of videomapping and creative projection. Why do I have to break the symbol functionality to be able to project vertically on the floor?

So, does the 2D symbol part of a projector hold so much value that it can't just be fired? Or optionally disabled in the OIP? I for one would be more than happy to forego having everything lined up in pretty 2D in plan view if I can put the projector and screen where I want.

So short term, please disable hybrid functionality.

Long term, rework the video screen tool to support any polygon as screen and a projector object that can be moved anywhere, at any angle, with a frostum that is locked to the screen object.

In any case this straight on projection limitation seems like a silly problem for a otherwise wonderful videoscreen tool.

Thank you

Fubbi

@trashcan Feel free to correct or add. I know this is something you deal with as well.

@C. Andrew Dunning Is this something that works differently in your wonderful tool?

• Like 3

11 answers to this question

On 3/12/2022 at 10:56 AM, fuberator said:

So, does the 2D symbol part of a projector hold so much value that it can't just be fired? Or optionally disabled in the OIP?

Sorry for the delay in replying.  Lots of juggling these days...

Interesting food-for-thought.

To answer your first question, I'll draw a parallel w. Light Plots.  There is a big difference between 2D icons shown on plots and 3D models.  The latter would make for illegible plots.  While, perhaps, not to the same extent, I'd offer similar thinking w. projectors, screens, and other video elements.

As to your 2nd question, definitely something worth giving consideration.

On 3/12/2022 at 11:56 AM, fuberator said:

Hi

We have had many conversations here about the difficulties of modern video projection design in vectorworks. The hybrid nature of the video screen tool seems to require a linear wall projection, which is very rarely the case in these days of videomapping and creative projection. Why do I have to break the symbol functionality to be able to project vertically on the floor?

So, does the 2D symbol part of a projector hold so much value that it can't just be fired? Or optionally disabled in the OIP? I for one would be more than happy to forego having everything lined up in pretty 2D in plan view if I can put the projector and screen where I want.

So short term, please disable hybrid functionality.

Long term, rework the video screen tool to support any polygon as screen and a projector object that can be moved anywhere, at any angle, with a frostum that is locked to the screen object.

In any case this straight on projection limitation seems like a silly problem for a otherwise wonderful videoscreen tool.

Thank you

Fubbi

@trashcan Feel free to correct or add. I know this is something you deal with as well.

@C. Andrew Dunning Is this something that works differently in your wonderful tool?

You can accomplish everything except for the 2D hybrid stuff with projectionviz. However with a Barco 4K 32 projector that’s rolled 90° and flipped, you may very well end up with a plot that shows multiple projectors offset by 3’ in the wrong place and hung on the wrong orientation. I currently have a drawing that has the same projector modeled seven different ways (and I still have to render a separate stacked viewport in Shaded ortho top view so my PJ’s are shown in the right place). The light plot analogy only applies to lights.

For now, the workaround is to model the PJ in each position you want plotted (which defeats the purpose of much of projectionviz’s functionality). Or do the stacked viewport trick above.

By enabling Shaded in the foreground render, you can see that 5 of the PJ's are close enough but 2 of the PJ's are very much in the wrong place:

1639736052_ScreenShot2022-03-15at8_51_38PM.thumb.png.3ef6e76212e5a397c83b21fd8ee47a1e.png

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

The light plot analogy only applies to lights.

I'd argue that there is a good bit (at a certain level) of similarity.  For both, the Hybrid system is good for simple hangs (think horizontal truss with bottom-hung fixtures).  Things break down quickly when steering away from that - which is why things like raking Design Layer ViewPorts and Schematic Views have been pursued.  Designers in both disciplines need to communicate details clearly - especially, when "non-conventional" approaches are desired.  Judging from threads over the years (including this one), we're still in search of a good solution...

It is safe to say that the 2D plot is not the only way to show a layout. And its getting in the way of projection design in a major way. The option to disable hybrid would be more than a game changer. 

Looking forward to hearing more about the autohybrid PJ's. Intriguing!

On 3/15/2022 at 5:52 PM, C. Andrew Dunning said:

I'd argue that there is a good bit (at a certain level) of similarity.  For both, the Hybrid system is good for simple hangs (think horizontal truss with bottom-hung fixtures).  Things break down quickly when steering away from that - which is why things like raking Design Layer ViewPorts and Schematic Views have been pursued.  Designers in both disciplines need to communicate details clearly - especially, when "non-conventional" approaches are desired.  Judging from threads over the years (including this one), we're still in search of a good solution...

Hey Andy, thinking through how I continue creating custom lenses for custom PJ's, and how light plots (and hopefully someday schematic views) do a great job of displaying lens types in 2D... what do you think about Custom plan rotation for PJ's? That would help when using 3 diff lenses that are all slightly different (and 2D lens style / text would clarify that on the plot).

For those that are unfamiliar with this Lighting Device parameter, it's a way of keeping light plots readable for instruments that focused in all diff directions in 3D:

1236953257_ScreenShot2022-03-29at11_52_56AM.thumb.png.bb96d14a8d078bfd66a48efab68679cc.png672632284_ScreenShot2022-03-29at11_53_04AM.thumb.png.67c6b7fc6a00d528d8a53532f193df56.png