Moving connections in arrow mode between design layers

elc

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov,

that's the thing. I can't do that. The circuit doesn't recognice the new device on a different layer. (Tried changing layers too.)

Have you tried it yourself? Three devices, three layers moving from one device to another with the move command?

So, is this a bug or a limitation of VW POI?

Thanks,

George

Sorry, not the best screencast. Should have labled the devices etc, but I hope you see the issue anyway.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, elc said:

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov,

that's the thing. I can't do that. The circuit doesn't recognice the new device on a different layer. (Tried changing layers too.)

Have you tried it yourself? Three devices, three layers moving from one device to another with the move command?

So, is this a bug or a limitation of VW POI?

Thanks,

George

Sorry, not the best screencast. Should have labled the devices etc, but I hope you see the issue anyway.

Okay my bad. I thought that this was working but now I checked in VW 2021 and it is not working there either. So the workaround for now would be to redraw the arrow. We will see what we can do to improve this.

Thanks for your feedback! 🙂

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

So the workaround for now would be to redraw the arrow. We will see what we can do to improve this.

the workaround I am trying to use is to move the object temporarily to the layer of my new circuit destination. move the circuit and then move the object back. But I haven't had time to properly test, if that breaks other connections or misaligns intra-schematic connections. For my current drawings this seems to work. 🙂
(But thanks for looking into it.)

edit: btw. re-drawing is not a real option, as this means losing additional data like cable number, cable type and possibly signal type.

44 minutes ago, Conrad Preen said:

Just out of interest. On a personal scale of 1 - 10 how would you rate the importance of making this work? Is it worth some loss of performance / slower update?

thanks for asking. again, not a big issue. i'd say 2 since the current workaround above is okay (with 1-"who really cares" to 10-"show stopper") But worth having a look at, I'd say. As that is what ConnectCAD is used for: Drawing devices, circuits and possibly moving them around. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by elc
additional info
  • Like 1