Mac Studio & M1 Ultra

Yup. My world as well. IMO 2022 is a dog. Unstable, SP3 did nothing to stop the memory blood letting. Sorry to see 2021  having similar issues. Question remains, why is this not fixed? Zeno wins the hemorrhaging memory prize. Wear me out...

• Like 1

I've spent most of this afternoon trying to render a load of renderworks viewports on one sheet layer.

Previously I'd have been able to do them all in one go. Leave VW to it for an hour or two and come back.

At the moment, I have to do them in batches. Do the maximum number that I can get away with without the memory collapsing. Wait for it to complete. Save the file. Quit Vectorworks. Re-open Vectorworks, re-open file. Do the next batch. Repeat.

Can't really use the computer to do anything else in the background because that seems to make it even more likely VW will freak out.

• Like 1

@line-weight I used to have to do that with VW2020 and maybe VW2021 but I don’t exactly recall when that problem went away for me.

I just looked at the Activity Monitor while rendering in VW2022 on my MacBook Pro M1 Max, and it looks like after each rendering is done, it releases the memory so I don’t run out. 

I’m sorry I don’t have any advice for you, but I’m glad that problem went away for me.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, line-weight said:

At the moment, I have to do them in batches. Do the maximum number that I can get away with without the memory collapsing. Wait for it to complete. Save the file. Quit Vectorworks. Re-open Vectorworks, re-open file. Do the next batch. Repeat.

welcome to the club. It’s the true. I suggest to work with more than one computer if you can. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Sky said:

@line-weight I used to have to do that with VW2020 and maybe VW2021 but I don’t exactly recall when that problem went away for me.

I just looked at the Activity Monitor while rendering in VW2022 on my MacBook Pro M1 Max, and it looks like after each rendering is done, it releases the memory so I don’t run out. 

I’m sorry I don’t have any advice for you, but I’m glad that problem went away for me.

on my experience, section viewport rendering takes max 30-35 gb and then they are correctly calculated. If I don’t turn off vw and reopen the file to do a second render, the memory going over 50. From 50  the memory request incres up to 190 GB but every time (trust me, there are months i’m trying to find a solution) without success. So: 35 GB after reopen vw, or 190 GB with s collaps

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
14 hours ago, Sky said:

Is that doing renderworks renders, or is it updating section viewports?

On 3/14/2022 at 2:01 AM, Diamond said:

If you work on very large Vectorworks projects, 32GB would be minimum, with 64GB ideal, and 128GB just bragging rights. I am sure a 64GB M1 Max would be an amazing machine. If I was to spec one of these at the moment, this is the configuration I would choose as a solid mid-high tier Vectorworks machine…

1076104478_ScreenShot2022-03-14at12_57_57pm.thumb.png.03a35f64f6db21b7cb3463dfd4af2a21.png

If you were to go for this configuration, for another 900, I would seriously consider going with this instead. Add a Studio Display and you have the same setup + portability (with an XDR display!).

1666739149_Screenshot2022-03-26at15_47_01.thumb.png.6663262d6cb4f570a9ce943e9145fd26.png

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

If you were to go for this configuration, for another 900, I would seriously consider going with this instead. Add a Studio Display and you have the same setup + portability.

1666739149_Screenshot2022-03-26at15_47_01.thumb.png.6663262d6cb4f570a9ce943e9145fd26.png

I got the same machine with a 43" lg display. It changes totally my workflow

• Like 1

This on how the "M2 Extreme" Mac Pro might be designed is very good. The 256+ RAM is what really interests me for Vectorworks. An announcement at WWDC + release in Sep would be perfect. We've decided to wait it out to June and see what the Mac Pro has to offer.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1
On 3/23/2022 at 6:47 PM, line-weight said:

I've spent most of this afternoon trying to render a load of renderworks viewports on one sheet layer.

Previously I'd have been able to do them all in one go. Leave VW to it for an hour or two and come back.

Can't really use the computer to do anything else in the background because that seems to make it even more likely VW will freak out.

Hi everyone guys,

very interesting discussion

Same problems of memory to me (iMac 27 2017 4,2Ghz i7, 40GB RAM)

For some big files (about 400MB and more), especially dealing with complex DTMs, have to go back to Vectorworks 2021 in order to move faster and avoid an annoying antialiasing viewport problem appeared in 2022

(I've to say that Vectorworks Sp.3 has solved that issue)

Anyway wrote this post only to say that when I see Vectorworks becomes too slow, instead of restart the whole app, I prefer to save the file and open the previous version to empty cache

This works to me and hope helps you too

Apri versione precedente.jpg

Hi guys,

I've been running the 'base' M1 Ultra (64GB, 48core GPU, 1TB) for a week or so.

It's great to be back on Mac & I'm seeing a 2x improvement in HLR over an RTX 2060.

I'll keep the RTX for the amazing Lumion exteriors.

With the mac studio complex files no longer struggle - I no longer need to be selective with visibilities to make the file manageable. Everything just seems so much more fluid but I haven't taken the time to do much real benchmarking.

Interestingly C4d has locked up a couple of times needing a force quite.

VW seems like a different animal to before but simple things still take surprisingly long. Trying to rotate a Receptacle was taking between 1-2s yesterday, very peculiar.

Anyhow - I'll be sad to see it go but it's going back tomorrow. The new 16 mbp max also has 64GB and I feel (hope) that for 95% of the time the difference won't be noticeable. Portability, screen, =ram, battery & storage all combine to make the argument for me .😀

(If anyone want's to pm over a file for test I can get to it later this evening)

• Like 4
On 3/26/2022 at 11:49 AM, zeno said:

MBP 16 on the left, 43 inch in the middle https://www.lg.com/it/monitor/lg-43un700-b, 27 on the right, iPad Pro 12 on bottom

2078187721_Schermata2022-03-24alle09_41_00.thumb.jpg.386d2e45e9c3321751367cb1cc1cbfc6.jpg

IMG_3985.jpeg

I miss my 43" monitor (was actually a Sony TV). Now that I'll be losing the MBP screen, it's time to get that (antiglare) Dell 43... Just need to find a better spot for the webcam, so it won't look like I fell down a well in Zoom meetings.

image.png.27181a06b399cfc64b042fa2c54abca3.png

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2
1 hour ago, jnr said:

Somehow I lucked out and got my hands on the Ultra with 64 gb when they randomly showed up at a nearby Apple store. Lo and behold, all my problems vaporized. zippy, os stable, graphics way faster. Can actually get some work done.

That's great--congrats! Can't wait to get mine sometime in May.

1 hour ago, jnr said:

Drinking the Koolaid and waiting on the studio display. Not sure I could handle a 43"!

Not for nothing but there's an infinite supply of 3rd party peripherals to pimp out your Mac. Ergo mice with a middle mouse button, backlit mechanical keyboards, keypads, big fast curved monitors, monitor arms (you could buy the top of the line Ergotron for less than Apple's height adjustable upgrade highway robbery; I absolutely love mine), a webcam with decent image quality... 

1 hour ago, jnr said:

Not sure I could handle a 43"! Now to unload the iMac Pro....

The guy that bought my MBP Max said that scalpers were selling the same model for 6k (1500 markup), so it's a seller's market. Best of luck to ya (or "break a leg" if you're the superstitious type).