Mac Studio & M1 Ultra

• Christiaan changed the title to Mac Studio & M1 Ultra

I was watching the event and I must say that it was really cool to see Vectorworks appear in the presentation. I hope this means Apple and VW have a good relationship which would benefit us users. Apple's website also mentions performance increases for Vectorworks specifically and this is where I get kinda worried. The performance increases for other software are reported to be 3x or 4x but for VW it peaks at 1,6. I'm guessing this is because performance increases for processors these days seem to come mainly from more cores, and Vectorworks only use a single core in many tasks, as I understand it. So basically the base model M1 would not differ much from the highly specced Ultra in a lot of tasks. This is just my understanding, I'm sure others here know much more about this.

image.thumb.png.88342ee4c864d8498a1f8159408890a3.png

• Like 4

Will the ultra speed things up at all since its 2 chips acting as one (mac voodoo magic)

My trash can is getting buggy and need to be replaced soon.

is the studio monitor worth it or is there a suggetstion for (2) 4k monitors. I would like to have good speakers and a web cam.

Maybe (1) studio 27" and a 2nd basic model that will line up with the studio (4k) as and screen for resources, oip, navigation.

I could really use some help here. VW entertainment user with lots of renders and a pile of 3D modeling.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 minutes ago, J. Miller said:

Will the ultra speed things up at all since its 2 chips acting as one (mac voodoo magic)

Recall the single M1Max is quite fast - some might chime in here. We will get our hands on ultra asap - and share what we find! I would not expect it to be slower than M1Max. and you have the 128GB option. If you currently use 128GB for your projects, this is very nice news!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 minutes ago, J. Miller said:

So Steve, Is that a thumbs up to invest in a studio M1 ultra (32Gb ram or 64 gb ram)

Jeff

Has anyone here been disappointed with Apple Silicon? (16GB limit not withstanding)

On 3/9/2022 at 2:19 AM, Anders Blomberg said:

So basically the base model M1 would not differ much from the highly specced Ultra in a lot of tasks.

Yes, and it sounds like the claim that M1 Ultra is "60% faster than the 28-core Mac Pro" was in regards to single core (multi-core is closer to 20% faster). That's a dirty marketing trick considering that more cores on an Intel chip lowers the single core clock speed. All of the M1 family have pretty much the same single core performance.

That said, I'm overjoyed that the Ultra is benchmarking just shy of the Threadripper 3990x (for under $6k !), so I'll be ordering one soon to make use of Renderworks and Redshift (with 128gb of unified memory available for VRAM).

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 2
44 minutes ago, J. Miller said:

is the studio monitor worth it

Absolutely not. There are so many excellent monitors that are 32" and above from BenQ, Dell, LG... and the funny thing is that they all use the same panels.

However, the nice thing is that now users have a great headless option, so we can get whatever monitor we want.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

Absolutely not. There are so many excellent monitors that are 32" and above from BenQ, Dell, LG... and the funny thing is that they all use the same panels.

However, the nice thing is that now users have a great headless option, so we can get whatever monitor we want.

The polishing cloth is sold separately for $19 because... courage... environment... privacy 🤣🤣🤣

54 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Concerning 16GB and the frustrations updating multiple viewports in batch, that is one of the biggest offerings of ultra. Updating multiple viewports with complicated section cuts does push beyond 16GB.

The thing is, the same operation (render multiple renderworks viewports on the same sheet layer) that I could do in VW2018 on my old mac pro, with 16GB memory, now causes a crash in VW2021 on my newer M1 with 16GB memory.

There is something else that's going on that looks a lot like some kind of memory leak. This has been discussed elsewhere.

We shouldn't have to spend on more expensive hardware to compensate for something that is wrong inside VW.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

Keep in mind that the M1's have unified memory.

We're used to buying a computer with 32gb of RAM + 8gb of VRAM but the M1 just lists a single number to be shared by both. That's a blessing if you have 128gb to be shared but it's a curse if you have 32gb or less.

Sure. But my old mac had 16GB RAM + 3GB VRAM.

My M1 has 16GB unified memory, so it's a little less but I'm not sure it explains the problems I describe.

There's discussion of it here

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/72941-mac-silicon-os-and-vw/page/16/#comment-411469

1 minute ago, line-weight said:

Sure. But my old mac had 16GB RAM + 3GB VRAM.

My M1 has 16GB unified memory, so it's a little less but I'm not sure it explains the problems I describe.

There's discussion of it here

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/72941-mac-silicon-os-and-vw/page/16/#comment-411469

Not sure what's to discuss. 16gb is not enough. 32 is minimal. 48 is good. 64 is great. 128 is excellent.

Also Redshift requires 8gb VRAM in VW, so there's that.

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

The multi-core and GPU/Metal/DirectX performance wins for Vectorworks currently occur with the everyday, every minute, every second workflows of changing views and navigating your complex design. Switching and redrawing in Top/Plan, switching to and navigating 3D views, working with large files with large number of classes and more. I think/hope those using Apple silicon already can remind us of the these wins.

Sorry for another negative post, but -

I'm using Apple silicon already and spend much of my time navigating and working in "shaded" 3d views. Moving to M1 did not result in a greatly improved experience in this regard. For the most part it continues to be "fine" just as it was on my older non M1 mac, but with the exception of a highly distracting problem that is significantly worsened in VW2022, which is described in this thread:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/87645-vw2022-shaded-view-flickering-hatches-patterns/

I'm hopeful it might be fixed in SP3. That thread has gone dead in terms of response from VW. But it's another example of the user-experience bottleneck being to do with VW problems rather than the hardware. There's not much point having hardware that can render fluid, detailed motion around a complex model if the view is then trashed by flickering zigzag lines everywhere.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mark Aceto said:

And the same display is not compatible with the other options: VESA, height-adjustable, non-height-adjustable. And for some reason, also not compatible with Macs made before 2016? Is it April Fool's already?

Ugh, early Cinebench scores not looking good... 

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r23_multi_core-16

1441725054_ScreenShot2022-03-09at1_43_57PM.thumb.png.97e729d9fa1bfe01e7247878c7ad7487.png

Much further down the list, are the M1 Max chipsets, scaling predictably at 1/2 the Ultra scores:

875393728_ScreenShot2022-03-09at1_47_44PM.thumb.png.630d80ec34ac931171d5715b5f2631a8.png

So, it stands to reason, that the imminent Mac Pro with 4x Max (double Ultra) would theoretically scored 48,000 (not even close to Threadripper).

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1