A total Nightmare with Layers ! Help me guys !

Dan Warb

To speed up a 3-D drawing I'm working on I though I'd utilize the layers fecility. Now that I've got everything in place I wan't to be able to use the fly over tool but only the active layer revolves on the screen, the other two layers stay in a Plan view .

I can only fully activate one layer at a time, so how on earth do I activate all the layers at once??

Any help would be so, so help full, I'm sat here waiting for any insight that may help.

Thanks Guys . . . Dan

Create a new layer. I call this the Model layer. Layer link all of the other layers to this layer. Do not check the 2d check box.

Now you can navigate your model in this single layer. Because you did not check the 2d checkbox, none of your non-3d elements show.

In order to view the entire building (all layers) modeled you need to create a LAYER LINK. To do this: 1) Create a new, blank layer, 2) Go to the menu VIEW>CREATE LAYER LINK, 3) Shift-select the layers you intend to be linked (having made sure that they all have the correct "z" values assigned to them),4) click OK. Now you have a link/model that you can render and flyover or walkthrough... Hope that helps...

Oh you guys are the best !

Still Iv'e not puleed it off yet ! Ha ha !

Ive created a new layer and called it 'Model Layer' then click ok to close the layer box. A blank layer you mean because I don't assign any objects to it ??

Then to create the layer link but the blank 'model layer isn't in the list. So I shift select to link the three layers I'm trying to fly over all at once.

What do I make active next for it to work??

I don't know what you mean about assigning the Z-values. I mean all the parts were orinally worked on in the same drawing and placed on the working plane. Hmmmmm.

Whats next whats next ?? ?? ??

Dan

Each layer should be set to the correct height (z height) before drawings anything. This is done in the layers setup dialogue. It is simpler this way because if you draw things without assigning a height then you will have to manually "move" them to the correct height later.

To link the layers together for 3d viewing you should be on the "blank" model layer you have just created. Then choose "view" "create layer link", select the layers you wish to view, (don't check the show 2d option) and hey presto, there are the layers in all their 3d glory! - hopefully if all set up correctly!

Cheers

BG

PS Assigning layer heights after you have already drawn items, will not change the height of these items. It will only affect subsequent items drawn.

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Warb:

...Then to create the layer link but the blank 'model layer isn't in the list. So I shift select to link the three layers I'm trying to fly over all at once.

What do I make active next for it to work...

You will be doing your rendering and flyovers on the Model Layer and only the Model Layer.

Upon creation, the Model Layer will be blank, just as all layers are upon creation.

When you link a layer, you are doing just that, linking. The layer link dialog box will not show the Model Layer because you are linking other layers to it. The dialog is to select the layers that you want to "bring in", the layers that you are linking to the Model Layer.

Simply select the layers that you want to show up, such as Site, First Floor, Second Floor, Roof.

They will now appear in your Model Layer. If you make changes to any of the linked layers, those changes will show up in the Model Layer.

All of the above advice is solid, but I don't ever assign a z height, partly because the other axes also get confused when layer-linking.

After linking to the Model layer, Select All, go to Edit>Unlock. This will enable you to manually drag/adjust x, y, and z for linked layers relative to each other in the model layer, which will now show everything you have linked. You will have to use the Plan, Front, and side elevation views to make the correct xyz adjustments.

As Kevin says, do all your viewing on the Model layer.

BTW, have you ever noticed how the defaults ALWAYS default to the opposite of what you want? Why didn't they make the default UNLOCKED? In a gazillion years of using VW, I have never had the need to lock a layer link. Phooey.

(Nevertheless, I really like VW.)

[ 10-08-2005, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: ErichR ]

ErichR - I don't understand your logic for not assigning z heights to layers. How does it confuse the other axes?

If you assign each of the layers associsted with a particular storey in your building the required z height then the model will assemble correctly in any Layer Linked View or Viewport. If the storey to storey height changes all you have to do is adjust the heights in the Layer Dialog box and it will automatically adjust. It is really simple and works well.

[ 10-09-2005, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]