Shipping Container Homes

André Pflanzer

Question

7 answers to this question

If you need it to be a symbol, then no.  You can't insert doors and windows into symbols.

But it's possible to hack the wall tool to be "corrugated".  It was never a documented feature and when the wall tool got rebuilt in 2022 it stopped working.  There have been requests to restore this accidental feature, and I haven't checked to see if it's back yet.  

What version are you using?

It can still be done in 2022 but it is a bit more complicated.  I created the corrugation in the 3d hole component of a symbol.. You need to add a 2d loci to the symbol or it gets buggy.  Once this is done I inserted the windows.  This is where it gets tricky.  The corrugation stops where the window starts. to fix this I added a solid in the shape of the window hole in the corrugated symbol.  Then I cut the windows and pasted them in place.  So what you see below is one symbol inserted in the wall. The windows are just placed in the holes created by the one symbol.   Drawing attached. 

image.thumb.png.84849ad547bc13f2f8c3bcf48c5d8a92.png

Windows in Corregated wall 2022.vwx

Nice one, David! 

The only drawback is that you would need a unique symbol for every wall.  Back in the day (last year!) you could use the same symbol on every wall.  

I miss that trick.

It should still work in 2021 without the trickery.  🙂 

I was also going to suggest a line style for the left and right wall lines so it looks cool in 2D. 

Another option would be to take one of the shipping container symbols in the VW libraries + customise it by replacing the corrugated Extrude sides with Wall objects + give them a corrugated texture. The corrugations are quite subtle (36mm) so would perhaps be represented fine as a texture rather than actually modelled? Then you could edit the 3D component + insert Door/Window objects into the Walls. It depends whether it's more important to have a 100% accurately modelled object or to have the flexibility to add/move/remove Doors/Windows easily. And have the end result as a hybrid symbol you can easily modify/replicate.

1920448537_Screenshot2022-03-08at06_17_55.thumb.png.7709116d96d044de18db50648941a7d1.png

1502383036_Screenshot2022-03-08at05_59_57.png.d3c05527ce47349523738c0a20d80f8e.png

I agree that the much-used wall hole component symbol technique is severely compromised in VW2022. Where before I could just add one symbol to affect the whole wall + now need to add one of each symbol in between each Door + Window to fill the gaps where it doesn't work...

• Like 1

Morning all,

Sorry for the delayed response, thanks for the suggestions and the file. I also read that you could use subtract solid to cut out the opening you need but haven'y tried it yet... Again thanks for the suggestions and I'll be tinkering for a little bit.... I'm just starting to get into house modelling as I'm a spotlight user and have only used VW to Create floorpans and renders...I've just purchased the design suite and will be going through VW university to build my skills in Architecture & landscaping... Not that I'll ever achieve a degree in theses fields but I should be able to build a model that can be passed on to and Architect to critique and correct so it can be built.....

Hope you all have a fantastic week...

Andre