Automated Viewport Creation Along an Alignment

yasin2ray

Question

Automated viewport creation along an alignment; this would include: 

• The ability to generate multiple viewports of a specific size and viewport scale that are all adjacent to each other along the length of a specific line. This is needed for long, narrow project sites such as utility corridor environmental mapping, lakefront restoration plans.  
  • Great tip from Donald Ward: The ability to adjust each viewport location individually in model space can be done if there is one viewport that spans the full project site and the actual viewports that do on the sheets are Detail Viewports - but still not ideal.  
  • Even less ideal: In the past, we had a project along on a narrow corridor that is 25 miles long and will need about 40 sheets. I created adjacent rectangles in model space, then generated viewports from the rectangles. I kept the original rectangles so I could see where my viewports exist along the project corridor. 

3 answers to this question

11 hours ago, markdd said:

Have you ever tried making one complete viewport and then using the Split tool to divide them up into individual viewports? Works well for me.

There are many reasons an automated version of this that allowed the viewports to be linked to a single set of settings would be useful. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, markdd said:

Have you ever tried making one complete viewport and then using the Split tool to divide them up into individual viewports? Works well for me.

I would still need to move the viewports to where they need to be, any corridor is likely not a straight line. So I still find a viewport creation along a line to be a more useful capability. Also, I did not know it's possible to split a viewport! That's cool and I will test it, thanks.