Edging for hardscapes

yasin2ray

Question

8 answers to this question

16 hours ago, jeff prince said:

You can do this already by selecting the edges not needing the edging when using the border option.  Alternatively, you can draw your edging as a separate object.

I do not see the word "edging" anywhere in the Hardscape Tool. Can you explain your comment? Also, what about when the hardscape does not have a border, can you add edging without having a border?

7 hours ago, yasin2ray said:

I do not see the word "edging" anywhere in the Hardscape Tool. Can you explain your comment? Also, what about when the hardscape does not have a border, can you add edging without having a border?

It’s called “border” in the hardscape settings.

In terms of drawing an edging independent of say a paver bed, I created a steel edging hardscape style in the Path configuration just for this purpose.  It’s a pretty nice trick that I have not seen others do yet.    I’ll post an example when I’m back in the studio.

• Like 2
On 3/8/2022 at 7:01 PM, jeff prince said:

In terms of drawing an edging independent of say a paver bed, I created a steel edging hardscape style in the Path configuration just for this purpose.  It’s a pretty nice trick that I have not seen others do yet.    I’ll post an example when I’m back in the studio.

I see. This is clever. You use the border settings (which I think of when I need a soldier course, for example) for making steel edging. I hadn't thought of that. Alternatively, use the Hardscape Tool in Path mode to create steel edging. I'll try them both!

• Like 1
On 3/8/2022 at 7:01 PM, jeff prince said:

I created a nice edging using the Hardscape Tool in path configuration mode. I have not figured out how to create a Boundary configuration hardscape that has a border on only select sides. Is this still not possible?

8 hours ago, yasin2ray said:

I created a nice edging using the Hardscape Tool in path configuration mode. I have not figured out how to create a Boundary configuration hardscape that has a border on only select sides. Is this still not possible?

It's a built in feature of the reshape tool.  Kind of like changing the edge of a roof to a gable.

580782951_ScreenShot2022-03-14at9_39_26PM.thumb.png.c1cbce44c217795246dea9e631daec24.png

607538562_ScreenShot2022-03-14at9_39_50PM.thumb.png.5906a5d14cae6af806e0a413a89e70af.png

• Like 1

for consistency, we use the wall tool and keep the edging separate from other design items - we use a record format for labelling the edging (whether it is for gravel or lawn or asphalt or pavers) and make the edging a distinctive color for 2D drawing clarity - 

a worksheet can organize the wall data (by length) and by color for review - 

• Like 1