Knocked-down text!!

puchi

I am on Vectorworks 10.01.

I have been working on this particular file for past week or so, then all of a sudden some of the texts look like "knocked down" by 90 degrees. They are not "flipped" or "rotated".

Within a text box, individual letter is roted by 90degrees, so that it's impossible to read as a word.

This happened before when I printed, the text on the prints came out like this, but they look fine on the screen.

However, this time, it started affecting my file itself.

I tried copy and paste objects only to the brand new file , then typed texts. Then same thing again.

Please help! My drawing set is done, but I can't either print or make PDF file to present it to my client!!!!

puchi

Thank you, Peter. I am new to this forum.

I am using Mac G4/OS 10.3.9 at home, and Mac G4/OS 10.2 at work.

The type of the font that is affected is... Helvetica.

I only use one type of font all the time.

One thing I did not mention is that I imported some objects with text from AutoCAD file. I think this has something to do with the problem, but I do this all the time, and never had much of a problem like this before.....

I'd appreciate any help/ tips!

The first thing I would try is to "repair permissions". Go to applications>utilities>disk utility. Select your start up drive. Click on "verify permissions" and let it run until it finishes (sometimes 10 minutes or so). Then click on "repair permissions" and let it finish. Then restart your machine.

If this doesn't work, and if I had to guess what is causing the problem, I would say it could be a corrupt font, or possibly something that was (or became) corrupted when you imported the ACAD objects.

If you have a recent backup file, you might want to go back to it, and trash the file with the problems. You could also try pasting all of your data from the bad file into a new, clean file. If you do this one layer at a time, perhaps you will discover which data is causing the problems... Good Luck :-)

Thank you for your quick response.

I will try repairing permissions immediately.

My "bad" file is looking worse now. it does not switch between layers anymore.....

I tried cut/paste by layers into clean file, but it seems that once i import/ paste "bad" object, it spreads and affect other good text......

I decided to blame all on .... ACAD!!! ; )

Thanks so much for your help and time.

A couple of thoughts:

- Try re-importing the file and then immediately do a purge of everything possible.

- Check to make sure the text is text and not just linework.

- Check to make sure the text is not made up of single letters in individual text blocks (with the orientation set to something other than 0 degrees.

- Do a global select of the text in the document and change the font to a 'vanilla' font like Arial.

- Check for text anomolies inside symbols (ACAD blocks)

If all else fails contact your countries support provider and see if they can help you.

[ 10-01-2005, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]