How to offset a vertical 3D cylinder

Hello,

I am using Vectorworks mainly for HVAC design.

I am wondering how to offset (transition) a round duct installed vertically.  I don't see this option in the HVAC tools and I am assuming that it can be done, but with manipulating a 3D surface.  Can you please help me with this?

Many thanks,

Serge

Not sure of your terminology.

Transition round to round?  Radius change over some length?

• Draw circle
  • Extrude to length of transition, view off axis via flyover.
  • Apply Taper Face tool (3d toolset) Tangent face mode (the 1st one)
  • A) click to highlight end circle
  • B) hover over the face of the extrude to highlight
  • C) Click/drag sideways to taper in or out making a conical surface
  • OR
  • Draw lower circle and upper circle on layer plane.
  • Convert both to NURBS (makes a group). Ungroup. Verify same direction (OIP> enable Show Direction).
  • Adjust z of one to transition length via Move 3d, or drag/Move in side view.
  • Loft Surface from one to the other.  Result is a conical NURBS surface.

Post back if other intent or help with processes.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
loft

@ Benson

@ Wes

Thanks for the replies.  I should have specified that I am not changing the size of the cylinder.  I want to represent a round duct going up in a 45 degree angle... At the same time I will need a way to make the 45 degrees elbows.  VW already have 3D elbows and 3D ducts defined put I am not able to rotate them if I am not in a plan view.  It would be nice if I can rotate them in front view for exemple.

557692684_45degreeduct.png.c57990622ff2a3aa3f5d3e486e8f9a36.png

This drawing shows what I need but in 3D.  This would be a front view.

thanks,

You can try Extrude Along Path (EAP) command in the Model Menu. In Front view, draw the centerline/axis of the duct run (the path), can be 2d poly if no elements off the plane.  Draw a circle @ duct diameter (the profile). Doesn’t need to be connected to the path. Select both and run the command. You might need to flip the EAP or reposition to fit properly in your 3d model. You can use the split tool to break the EAP into the segments of the duct run, or model each component separately.  This should be good for schematic, but, because of manufacturer dimensional differences and install hardware/technique, should not counted on as accurate model for fit in tight quarters.

Start a library of these components as symbols for future use. Keep them in a file in your resource manager favorites.

-B

image.thumb.png.4aae7037fe2803ae3f850794d7bc9d7c.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
waivers, exclusions, warnings

The Community Board forums are DEEP and GENEROUS!

See this thread started by @Bruce Kieffer for in depth discussion of piping.  Near end of Page 2, @digitalcarbon shares, in several posts, his entire library of piping symbols. Note comments by @PatStanford regarding differences in dimension by different manufacturers:

See also this thread started by @Stephan Moenninghoff about modeling Round>Rectangular transition:

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
attribution

currently i model all my pipe & pipe runs in Onshape then i export parasolid to VW...in VW i have a 3d symbol for each pipe run....so when the piping gets updated then i just update the "guts" of the symbol and the symbols that are placed in the architectural model gets updated...this way I don't have to worry about repositioning the piping in the big model...

• Like 1

a mechanical cad system has a way of making one sketch geometry then attaching config dims so you can make the whole family of pipe from one model.

In VW i would have to make a model for each variation...so lets say I did...but then the next day i found out that one of my dims was wrong...in VW I would need to open each symbol and fix but in mechanical cad you just retype the correct dim in the spread sheet shown.

This is one of the reasons why I moved all my piping over to mechanical cad.

128663767_ScreenShot2022-03-13at7_58_48AM.thumb.png.0ef79f4efd6c6834d5985761035fd83b.png

• Like 2

also you can make "product" object...then take the product and modify it for a particular project...

this modified product is still "derived" from the master product so if the master product gets fine tuned, then this fine tuning gets pushed out into all the modified product in all your projects...

In VW you have to copy a symbol and then modify....and if later you find out that you want to improve your master product then ok...but that will not update all the mods you made for all your project...

Ex: you will note on the example below that the ribs have a "square" profile. this is actually round in real life (i do it to keep poly count down)...but lets say one day i wanted to make it round to be more like real life...all i have to do is change the one master product (Pipe N-12 WT 600) and then all the hundreds of parts that are derived get updated in every project...

that is the other reason i do all my piping in mechanical cad

791314775_ScreenShot2022-03-13at8_06_29AM.thumb.png.2fe8a66eaf898745d614757a49a4b7fe.png

Edited by digitalcarbon
  • Like 1

then i take all this piping and place in VW with the proper Northing and Easting then sync with the Civil people...who (currently) can not really deal with 3d product.

but now I have site model w/ drawings (VW) and fabrication model w/ drawings (OnShape)  its the best of both worlds.

Edited by digitalcarbon
  • Like 1
On 3/13/2022 at 8:03 AM, digitalcarbon said:

Ex: you will note on the example below that the ribs have a "square" profile. this is actually round in real life (i do it to keep poly count down)...but lets say one day i wanted to make it round to be more like real life...all i have to do is change the one master product (Pipe N-12 WT 600) and then all the hundreds of parts that are derived get updated in every project...

128663767_ScreenShot2022-03-13at7_58_48AM.thumb.png.0ef79f4efd6c6834d5985761035fd83b.png

This is really cool. I like the Onshape interface and tree. VW should take note....I could almost see doing a similar workflow. Its not cheap to have both! Its always cool to see how others tackle stuff. Its one one the best aspects of this forum IMO.