Converting Vectorworks Truss to Hybrid 2D/3D Symbols

Hello!

I am currently given the task to convert symbols that are VW trusses into 2D/3D symbols. The way we found working was going into the 2D components of the symbol and copying into the design layer, and doing the same for the 3D object them combining them together to save a new symbol. The issue being is that there a hundreds of these symbols and doing those steps will consume an immense amount of time. I tried deleting the VW record formats for truss but when you drop the symbol in your design layer the program still identifies it as truss and not a 2D/3D symbol spite not having the default record format. I feel like there could be a faster approach to this process, so any tips and suggestions would help immensely.

Thank you!

-Nina Agelvis

You could use the Ungroup command on the Truss object. That will remove the truss functionality and give you the Symbol on its own. You may get an extra locus or two as well as some 3D polys if you are in 3D but ultimately this will do the job instantly for you without all the extra hassle.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This could also be done with a script to remove the BrxTrussItemRecord from all symbols in your document.  This can be dangerous though because in order to restore the functionality the truss will have to be setup again as a truss object and not just a symbol.  To second what halfcoupler asked; Why do you want to do this?

On 3/4/2022 at 4:11 PM, halfcoupler said:

If you simply drag and drop the truss symbol from the resource manager ( not double click ) to a file, you will get the truss symbol. Or you can ungroup the truss object and you will get the symbol plus the insertion objects.

Just out of curiousity: Why do you want to do this ?

Thanks! Well the company that is requesting me to do this doesn't want to use Braceworks and would prefer these truss objects to be 2D/3D symbols. But since there are so many symbols that they have saved it would take me weeks to go through each symbol, editing and copying it's components and resaving the symbol.

On 3/4/2022 at 4:17 PM, JustinVH said:

This could also be done with a script to remove the BrxTrussItemRecord from all symbols in your document.  This can be dangerous though because in order to restore the functionality the truss will have to be setup again as a truss object and not just a symbol.  To second what halfcoupler asked; Why do you want to do this?

How would you create this script? This would save me a lot of time for sure since there are hundreds of symbols I'm trying to do this to.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Nina Agelvis Attached is a script that will remove the BrxTrussItemRecord from all of the truss objects in your drawing. You will first want to delete the Truss Record and the Rigging-Truss-Magnets class and all accompanying magnets from your drawing before running this script.  Keep in mind that this is a brutal script that will strip all of the functionality or auto-connect and Braceworks. There is no undo after you run this script so make sure that you only use it on the truss objects that you want to make simple symbols.  As the truss will be reduced to a simple 2D/3D symbol and not a parametric object there will be no ability to rotate in 3D and worksheet functionality may suffer.

Keep in mind that if you ever want this truss to return to functional truss you will have to reimport the symbol from the RM or do all of the truss record, auto-connect, Braceworks, and Truss Magnet setup manually.

Purge_Braceworks_Record.txt

• Like 1