ERROR: Not Enough Valid Data on the Specified Source Layer to build DTM

mclaugh

I'm trying to generate a site model. I've constructed a grid consisting of 618 stake objects. The stakes are all on a single, separate layer, and there are no DTMs in the file.

When I select AEC > Site Model ..., I get the error message: "There is not enough valid data on the specified source layer to build a DTM." If I copy the stake objects and paste them into a new document, the model will generate. Why won't VW generate the site model in the original file?

----------

2.0 G5 Dual, OS X 10.3.9, 2.5 Gb RAM, VW 11.5/Architect/RW

quote:

Originally posted by islandmon:

You need to point the Create Site Model from existing DTM to the Layer with the necessary 3D Loci. The Procedure basically connects the 3D loci by TIN-ing ( Triangular Intergrated Network ) to create the surfaces and contours.

I never get that far. I get the error message before the Site Model Dialog Box appears.

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

Try making your source data layer active.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. All the stakes objects are on the same layer, and the layer is visible and active. Is the source data layer something different than the layer the stake objects are on?

quote:

Originally posted by mclaugh:

If I copy the stake objects and paste them into a new document, the model will generate. Why won't VW generate the site model in the original file?

Another wild one (disregard the "Power User" under my name): Why not eliminate all data pertaining to the DTM in the original file and paste it back from the new doc that does work? Remember to delete the DTM symbols in the Info Pallette.

Good luck. I battled the DTM a few weeks back and I'm still not sure what I did right, just what didn't work. A super tool, tho.

JUMPIN' BACK IN ... Got the same message 'Not enough data..'

and it was caused by me going into the Existing DTM Layer and Grouping the 3D Loci ... ungroup solved the problem.

One other thing ... if you do anything to the DTM Layer make sure you do an AEC>Site Model>Update Existing DTM ...

I wasted an hour messin with Site Modifiers only to discover the Existing DTM had shifted out registration, yeah ! Update made everything nice...

Thanks for the suggestions, Islandmon. I'll make a note of them for future reference, however, as I said in my initial post, there are no DTMs or DTM layers in the file since I never got far enough to generate one in the first place.

I am becoming increasingly frustrated by NNA's technical no support. This is the fourth or fifth issue I've contacted tech support with directly by phone and by email in the past year that I've received ZERO response to. Even here in this thread, when I asked for a clarification, I'm not even given the courtesy of a response. I'm sorry, NNA, but that is simply unacceptable.

Unlike many who post here, I'm not yet deeply entrenched enough in Vectorworks that I can't or won't switch to another program if I find another program that provides similar functionality and actually offers technical support.

quote:

I am becoming increasingly frustrated by NNA's technical no support. This is the fourth or fifth issue I've contacted tech support with directly by phone and by email in the past year that I've received ZERO response to. Even here in this thread, when I asked for a clarification, I'm not even given the courtesy of a response. I'm sorry, NNA, but that is simply unacceptable.

I must second the post. Tech Support for me has been totally ineffective. I say it with the most positive of intentions. It has to do with a defective manual, improperly sequenced tutorial CDs and my distance to training seminars.

I bought VW because I was offered 18 months of "free" tech support. If it weren't for the Tech Board and all of its super generous powerusers I would have gone back to PowerCADD in a few weeks. I know now it would have been my loss because VW is a fantastic tool but you can afford to loose some money, but time is of the essence. I endured thanks to some great moral and technical support from the Tech Board users (and practicing at home up to 2-3 AM many days).

Hey .. hey .. yesterday I got the message""There is not enough valid data on the specified source layer to build a DTM."

Yet there was plenty of valid DTM , but as a test , I renamed the source layer. This sent the Site Model method into a tail spin.

Apparently, the path to an invisible NNA DTM Data file was lost by the act of renaming the DTM Layer. Just another 'Temp file' issue. No big deal I just accepted the dialog and the next and then went ahead and updated the DTM as usual. Hey who needs warnings when your having fun ; )

quote:

Originally posted by islandmon:

Hey .. hey .. yesterday I got the message""There is not enough valid data on the specified source layer to build a DTM."

Yet there was plenty of valid DTM , but as a test , I renamed the source layer. This sent the Site Model method into a tail spin.

Apparently, the path to an invisible NNA DTM Data file was lost by the act of renaming the DTM Layer. Just another 'Temp file' issue. No big deal I just accepted the dialog and the next and then went ahead and updated the DTM as usual. Hey who needs warnings when your having fun ; )

That's all well and good, but it doesn't address my problem. I HAVE NOT renamed the layer with the source data or any other layers; I HAVE NOT added any layers to the source file; I have NEVER been able to generate a DTM in the source file; and AM NOT offered any options other than an "OK" button in the "ERROR: Not Enough Valid Data on the Specified Source Layer to build DTM" dialog box and clicking the "OK" button simply closes the dialog box; and if I select DTM Processor > Delete and click "YES," I get the message "Nothing to delete!"

quote:

That's all well and good, but it doesn't address my problem. I
HAVE NOT
renamed the layer with the source data or any other layers; I
HAVE NOT
added any layers to the source file; I have
NEVER
been able to generate a DTM in the source file; and
AM NOT
offered any options other than an "OK" button in the "ERROR: Not Enough Valid Data on the Specified Source Layer to build DTM" dialog box and clicking the "OK" button simply closes the dialog box; and if I select
DTM Processor > Delete
and click "YES," I get the message "Nothing to delete!"

I still think you may have a non 3D object someplace. "Not Enough Data..." may be misleading. Check how many objects you grab in plan view vs an elevation.

As to "Nothing to Delete", ovbiously if you have not made a DTM you don't have DTM info to delete.

Why not start from scratch using a simpler method, maybe tracing a terraing scan of the contours if you have one and converting those to DTM.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Ramon PG:

quote:

I must second the post. Tech Support for me has been totally ineffective. I say it with the most positive of intentions. It has to do with a defective manual, improperly sequenced tutorial CDs and my distance to training seminars.

I bought VW because I was offered 18 months of "free" tech support. If it weren't for the Tech Board and all of its super generous powerusers I would have gone back to PowerCADD in a few weeks. I know now it would have been my loss because VW is a fantastic tool but you can afford to loose some money, but time is of the essence. I endured thanks to some great moral and technical support from the Tech Board users (and practicing at home up to 2-3 AM many days).

Hi Ramon,

I appreciate very much your post, as i feel very much the same. I'm very thankfull to the tech Board users.

MacLaugh,

I've battled quite a lot with the DTM. I had the same problem. I never found the solution (why it would work in a file and not in another) so when it doesn't work, I just paste stakes in another (brand new) file and generated the DTM there. Then I workreference the layer.

It's quite frustrating as my feeling is that it has no logical path. Just some lack of stability with the DTM.

I some how came to the conclusion that the only way to have the DTM work without random crashes (if you have a larger and more complex site) is to have the stakes in a perfectly virgin clean file and generate it there. Referencing it works ok.

I do not know wheter it helps but it is advertised that VW12 made huge improvement on DTM.

• 4 months later...

Though many months late, many you did not delete the original 2D polygons, and these were being selected as part of the source data? The creation of source data is a separate step between the layout and the creation of the site model epending on which path you take.

Re tech support, return calls are difficult for a company that is growing as fast as NNA (a good thing). Responding to posts on this tech board is extraordinary, comparable to an architect sending one page responses to resume applicants when their is normally silence. ASk for a personal e-mail once a phone call gets through and you will always get your answer. Whomever calls v.12 an ineffective manual must be an Auocad user! the veru quality that makes VW so exceptional is the varied approaches to desired results. It is not formulaic like Autocad and others. The manual appropriately points you in the right direction and then trial and error sorts it out. This tech board forms part of their technical support and it works very very well, especially the search mode which accesses archive issues. I always find my answers here and generally do not need direct contact. To each their own, but maybe the complainers are not reading enough.