Vertical truss on 2 hoists?

Hi Jesse,

Do you have a method or work around for rigging a vertical piece of truss, using 2 hoists? 

I'm having difficulty magnet-connecting the Tyler GT vertical frame to the truss, and it only offers one connection point anyway.

I would usually Show a symbol of a Rigging Load representing the vertical truss, but that only works for a single point load. 

Is there a way to show a distributed load as a symbol?  Or perhaps a simple horizontal pipe that can represent the truss and fixtures?

Test file attached.  Thanks much!

Charles

Vertical Truss - 2 Points.vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Charles

16 hours ago, Projx_CA said:

Do you have a method or work around for rigging a vertical piece of truss, using 2 hoists? 

One workaround that a friend in Switzerland showed me is to attach a T-piece corner section to the top of the vertical truss and then connect the hoists to the T-piece.

Another option, if you are planning to attach a hoist to the top and bottom (another point away form the top) of the truss is to insert the vertical truss, change into a side or front view and then insert the hoists, in this scenario I tend to set the lower hoist to use the hoist up symbol option so that the body of the hoist isn't inside of the truss

A third option if you only want to use a single hoist is to create a symbol of the vertical truss and attached objects (extract the 3D geometry from the symbols, do not just use the inserted truss or lighting device objects) to use with a point load object. Set the point load to the same weight as the combined weight of the truss and attached lights (and any other equipment).

17 hours ago, Projx_CA said:

Is there a way to show a distributed load as a symbol? 

Not that I'm aware of, I'll make an enhancement request for this, but distributed load objects can't attach directly to a hoist so it wouldn't be possible to use this as a direct workaround.

17 hours ago, Projx_CA said:

Or perhaps a simple horizontal pipe that can represent the truss and fixtures?

You could try a horizontal pipe with a point load for the combined weight of the truss and lights

• Like 1

Thanks Jesse,

Here is my workaround:

1. Create a symbol with the vertical truss and lights.
  2. Attach the _ATS-SpkrModata record to the symbol you just created
  3. Using the Audio Array tool, Configure Array bumper to match the spacing of your low hook rigging.  Depending on the hang configuration, you may need to Rotate 90  - for side by side hoists.
  4. Select the "Speaker" symbol you just created in "Speaker A" tab
  5. Add one "Speaker" then Populate
  6. Add Hoists
  7. Calculate
  8. Profit

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 15.08.52.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 15.09.10.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 15.16.27.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 15.08.26.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Charles

Nice workaround,

Seeing this has given me another idea for a workaround,

Create a custom adapter plate to link the hoists to the vertical truss, effectively it would be a custom truss T-corner symbol.

This would have a couple of advantages,

• you would only need to create the plate once for each truss type you use, so no need to set up a bumper each time you need to hang a vertical truss
  • because it would be a standard truss symbol there wouldn't be any need to create custom symbols for the vertical truss and lights for each different configuration used, just draw the truss as normal and attach the lights.

on the down side it would require a bit more work for the initial creation of the adapter plate symbols