v11.5 Questions on 1:1 modeling w/ text, using 0,0 + elevation markers

Roman

What are you referring to "model in 1:1" ? Sheets Layers default to 1:1 but require Viewports with any scale set in the OIP. Layers can have any scale. Layers with Layer links can have any scale.

Roman ... at one time or other we have all shared your various frustrations but ... you really need to open those manuals that came with the program and take a look see... also the Help Menu is very comprehensive and quite easy to use.

"When the Student is ready ... the Master will be found"

We just upgraded to 11.5 and it seems that vectorworks is trying to get users to model in 1:1 scale and then print at 1:X scale. That's great, but there's problems with text at 1:1, no?

1) Standard text sizes (in points) do not work in 1:1. It's simply impossible to see the text when doing a building section. How are you supposed to do notes, dimensions, etc. at 10 PT when modeling in 1:1? If the answer is annotations in viewport, then that's slow because as drawings change a lot, going back and forth between sheet/design layer would be infuriating. Or are you supposed to stay at 1/4" or whatever scale you used in v10.5? That's my solution for now.

2) How do you get the 0,0 axis to show up so that you snap / reference it? We need to reference a lot of buildings from a master plan...

3) I've been trying to get the elevation markers to work. When I place them somewhere and check the "Auto-Set relative to Ref. Elev," I get some number based on the global 0,0 (for example -67'2.411").

How do you get it to a relative 0? I tried re-setting the grid 0,0 to the base of my drawing, but the marker kept at -67'2.411" So then I typed in -67'2.411" into Reference Elevation field...and that set the marker to 0. What if I moved my entire drawing around - wouldn't that screw up all the markers? Any way to make the markers work from a specified 0,0?

4) This is a general complaint on workgroup references: why do you have to do a layer link to move it around? Why can't the reference come in anywhere you like it to? [Confused]

5) Another complaint: when you have multiple layers on your drawing, you should be able to switch to them via a keystroke+mouse click, like in photoshop. It's pretty time consuming trying to find out what layer something is on.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The AutoCAD concept of "working at 1:1" is not fully relevant in VectorWorks. You -always- work at world scale in VectorWorks. The difference between VW and ACAD is that VW gives you a useful (in my opinion) "reference scale" for your working environment. This is the Layer Scale. The Layer Scale should be set to a scale at (or near to) the anticipated output scale. The Layer Scale controls the size of text, arrowheads, and line weights (i.e. graphic conventions that make sense only to the drawing environment, not the world environment.) Hatch patterns can be set to scale to either the "world" environment or the "page" environment. So, Roman, to respond to your question, you should work at 1:1 if you expect to print at 1:1. Otherwise, you should work at a scale that is approximately that at which you will be printing. This doesn't mean you have to scale or do any math in your head -- it's just a convenience that allows you to see in context (and proper scale) your drawn items.

Also note, that if you have to modify text sizes or line weights or arrowheads, etc., for a particular viewport, "Advanced Viewport Properties" will let you do this.

You are correct that the manusl is designed to be a reference guide rather than a tutorial. For tutorials, I can recommend our CD-based training series.

HTH, Robert.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Roman, I just looked at your earlier (first) post and I will try to address some of your earlier questions.

1. DRAWING ORIGIN: I recommend putting a locked locus on one of your layers that is your project origin. You can give it a name (and then use "custom selection" to write a script) if you want to find and verify it.

2. WORKGROUP REFERENCING: WGR (as we abbreviate it) essentially treats a layer (essentially a z-referenced data container) of an external document just like a local document layer. The advantage of this is that it integrates right into what you already know about VectorWorks. You can use a layer link as you suggest to translate or rotate it. If you have a specific drawing that you need to reference and translate and rotate with impunity, why not make a symbol out of it? Then it's easier to instance than layers / layer links.

HTH, Robert

Robert,

Yes, the locus is very useful. Thanks, I'll start using that.

I haven't used symbols on the scale of full building plans - I will have to try that. But WGRs should not be fixed in place...relative position, scale, etc. can be saved in the host document w/o affecting the orignal, no? I just think layer linking is a hassle because you have to create another layer and then link. If WGR have to happen, why not do the layer linking behind the scenes, so the user can automatically start working with the reference?

As for 1:1 drawing, it's very usefull when creating detail sheets which have a number of large scales, such as 3" or 1 1/2". Unfortunately, the program does not allow you to change layers with ease...you have to select from a menu. I know you can cycle through them, but sometimes we have 5 different scales on one sheet. It would be nice to have some command-click function to switch layers, like Photoshop. That's why I'd like to draw some things in 1:1.

Thanks for the help.

My 2 cents.

Usually I work the sections on 1:5 scale. No text. All on Worksheet. I then use the sections for elevations and construction details

Floor plans 1:50 which gives Floor plans, Detail plans for Interiors and site plan.

I keep away from multiple scale layers.

All text on worksheets. Keep one method. Either on worksheet or within viewport. I prefer worksheet. Its a pain when moving viewport but this is usually done less. Having one method helps when someone else is using the drawing later. Toggle between both worksheet and layer if need be for text.

All Dimensions within viewport.

Like that just have to worry about Line weight and hatch using Advanced Porpoerties.

Note we use a WGR's - master and slave. The slave been worksheet/TB files. Never bothered with layer links unless using 3D.