Place Plant Tool

dennisp

I have custom symbols imported into a favorite file and into the 2d symbols file. When I bring the symbol through the define Plant dialogue the existing pen charistics of the symbol are not recognized. (If my symbol has more than one color used for the lines it replaces all with one color.)??? If I place the symbol through the favorite file it comes in fine (unchanged), but without plant data. What do I need to do to to customize my symbols?

I am a little confused as to what you are doing.

Are you placing the actual custom symbols into the 2D Symbols file located in the default content directory at Libraries\Defaults\Plants - 2D symbols\ ?

Den - I had the same problem and gave up and re-drew most of my symbols from scratch when I got 11.5. I wish I had better advice for you. The symbols I tried to use were actually converted to vector graphics from scans of hand drawn symbols and imported into VW- it really gave my drawings a hand drawn look. I went from 9.5 to 11.5 and the new plant tool wouldn't work with the symbols I had used for three years in 9.5.

• 2 weeks later...

den, I'm sorry, I did not realize you were talking about VWL 11.5. I was assuming you were talking about 12 when I gave my advice, and the advice I gave was for VWL 12.

Using user created symbols in 11.5 does not really work well at all, and in 12 you will get complete control over the plant symbol attributes. In 11.5, the plants will take on the attributes of the attribute palette, which means you can't have pen colors that vary between each piece of geometry that makes up the plant.

However in 12, this is not a problem, and you can have complete control over the different pen colors of the different pieces of geometry.