Truss inventory report - use hanging position data?

I've got a big project set up with all of my truss "systems" set up as hanging positions. 

I'm trying to compile a truss report for ordering and day-of setup. I'm pulling the truss type/length/mfg/etc from the truss record, but also trying to incorporate the "Position name" from the hanging position...but I can't seem to get it to work. 

Any ideas? ...or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

10 minutes ago, livespace josha said:

I've got a big project set up with all of my truss "systems" set up as hanging positions. 

I'm trying to compile a truss report for ordering and day-of setup. I'm pulling the truss type/length/mfg/etc from the truss record, but also trying to incorporate the "Position name" from the hanging position...but I can't seem to get it to work. 

Any ideas? ...or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

Hello with 

Object type is : hanging position 
field: hanging position name

it works 

hop it helps

image.thumb.png.b5a61761aa4378931a55a2f8e84b3a00.png

Hello after more test , it seems that hanging position is different than truss position name 
hangin position is from light position record and truss position is from truss records
so you can have report with fixture by hanging position but not the truss ..

But if you don't use hanging position You can use both position for truss and lighting device
here is an example image.thumb.png.1f1ed8d4ae58ab3a4cd3c5fefaae913d.png

Edited by Ben59

The only way I have found to do this is to use the Location criteria.

Draw a shape around the Hanging Position and then name it. You can then List the Items within it. In this case you can list Truss. Its a bit of a hack but at least you will be able to list the truss within the 2D location.

Here is the file.

It would be interesting to see any other approaches to this.

Oddly enough, Hanging Position names come up as Locations you can choose, but do not work. I think I put a bug report in about this some time ago but didn't hear anything back......

1519515094_Screenshot2022-02-28at17_49_10.thumb.png.b042f1198baa872a554b36b5f5ba76c7.png652857025_Screenshot2022-02-28at17_43_41.thumb.png.6d93916cdec9f50d3b7e752f2385734d.png

Truss and Hanging Positions.vwx

30 minutes ago, livespace josha said:

I'm trying to get the report to list what hanging position the truss is in.

Example:

I have (10x) 10' pieces of 12x12 standard bolt in the "Stage Left" hanging position

I have (20x) 10' pieces of 20.5x20.5 standard bolt in the "Stage Right" hanging position

If you "only" need the truss item by position the better way is to use the truss system name

image.thumb.png.a957665bd1f68f35cfe5d797c40196b6.png

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the double post I was editing the previous one, and it became impossible to publish, and I even lost all the information.

I tried this: "truss system and report the count / truss symbol" because, in my head, it makes sense, however, what I got was this:

image.png.51123a20747d021a840cac2be16c11b1.png

I tried to do the same with "Hanging position" instead of "Truss System." And I couldn't get any results other than the name of all my Hanging Positions (which isn't bad, a small step in the right direction).

image.png.6cb280f4075b4af9c6ed6765a0d4d266.png

What I wanted would be something like this: (I built it in Excel):

image.png.9b45d10e75a7213a04c4297388bc8949.png

By the way, to try to do this, I searched in the Vectorworks University for videos, I watched 3, and none of them helped me understand how all these reporting tools, criteria, and functions work.

I would like to make this report, but I would like to better understand how it works to use these tools to make others in the future. Is there any explanatory video you can recommend (the University search gives many results, and in 3 tries, I didn't hit any)?

• 2 weeks later...