Importing Vendor Details

Ramon PG

It works very well. But I can't help to think that referencing these typical details externally would be better. You could have a detail folder with all your typical and favorite details and reference it instead of copying them into the file. If anything for the fact that the VW documents grow and grow in size. Mine just grew by 6 magabytes to 35 Mb.

I'm reading about referencing in the manual but I don't quite get it yet.

quote:

Originally posted by BG:

After importing in to a blank file, if you don't want to change all of the class names, you can simply delete all of the classes except "none" and "dimension" then everything will be on the "none" class.

BG

I did just that and imported all the info into a class named after the detail. Still, I have not tried the Reference method which looks interesting.

As a matter of course, we keep all our typical details in "libraries" which are then referenced by the drawing file. As the drawing becomes complete, we "break" the link to the referenced item(s) and check to keep the data in the main file.

Besides being much more efficient it also allows individual details to be tweaked, if necessary, to fit the specific drawing but keeps most everything consistent and uniform.

For whatever it's worth,

quote:

Originally posted by Travis:

As a matter of course, we keep all our typical details in "libraries" which are then referenced by the drawing file. As the drawing becomes complete, we "break" the link to the referenced item(s) and check to keep the data in the main file.

Besides being much more efficient it also allows individual details to be tweaked, if necessary, to fit the specific drawing but keeps most everything consistent and uniform.

For whatever it's worth,

Makes a ton of sense to me. Definitely worth a look.

But about the class thing. Does referencing bring over all your "libraries'" classes to your current drawing? Or will breaking the link do it?