Anyone using SharePoint Services or similar with a Mac?

Ramon PG

Is there a way to run the SharePoint Services hosted by a server using Windows Server from a Mac computer ?

Or is there anything similar for Mac users?

I've seen it work and it is is a fantastic collaboration tool for Architects. You upload documents like photos, drawings and letters and it can keep tabs on who saw them, or downloaded them and when. Even across the world. Several users can have separate passwords to access the site and see the docs or download them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SharePoint

Ramon,

I would be surprised to find Microsoft accomodating Apple but maybe there is something out there somewhere.

I don't know if this would suit your needs but one can always set up a .mac account and create various homepages with their own passwords where you post photo albums and files

They want about $99 per year to subscribe so one must weigh the costs although many other features come with it (albeit mostly "digital lifestyle" stuff) such as 250 MB of iDisk storage and direct back-up to it.

It only counts visitors. I don't think it says who visited.

Anyway, good luck.

Thanks for the info.

The puzzling part is that MS says that it is web based. I know for a fact that a fellow colleague accesses it from his pc. He tells me he buys for a monthly fee some space at a remote server in England that runs Windows SharePoint Server and he does not have any special program, just programmed it and accesses it via MS Internet Explorer.

The system you discribed sound much like a Wiki. or at lest a combo of a wiki, with calendar website generator, photo site generator, maybe all running under WebDAV server to get the access control. Althought reading more the system is the front page generator that does tie it all together.

The hard bit is getting it all to work together.

Hey following the Wiki link you posted click web portal

and on that page is a list of open source work similar to Sharepoint. most of these seem to run on Apache which is built into to OS x anyway.

Having a look at a couple of these myself as we wanted to get something similar going in our office.

The issue then is always the hardest Security when attached to WWW. Which is why it might be worth paying a hosting company with the system already set-up unless your just going to run the whole thing just in house.

quote:

Originally posted by iboymatt:

The issue then is always the hardest Security when attached to WWW. Which is why it might be worth paying a hosting company with the system already set-up unless your just going to run the whole thing just in house.

That's the idea, running it from your office but the info being at a remote server.

Please post any interesting finds. I can use the features and I know it can be done, but I don't know how to set up the thing just yet.