Polylines refuse to join / combine / "compose' whatever

DSmith2300

Question

Hi,

Still in Version 2021. 

Two polylines are refusing to join. I cannot see a "combine" function that everyone refers to. Only a "compose" command.  The "join" command only shouts "DING" at me doesn't give a reason.  The 'compose' command merely says nothing audible but does nothing either.

I've copy and paint-bucketed 'all attributes' from one to the other to make sure that they are not having conflicts. They're on the same plane etc.

Any advice??? 

Thanks

8 answers to this question

As far as not seeing Compose, are you using a custom workspace?  If so it it likely that it has not been added to your workspace.

First try one of the default workspaces and see if you see it there. If you do then you need to edit your workspace and add it.

I just checked both the Fundamentals and Design Suite workspaces for VW2022 and Compose was in both of them.

image.png.9fd6abd47b9075cca24a5708ffd81a2b.png

4 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

What happens if you copy/paste them into a new file?  If they still have problems, then post that file here for us to take a look at.

Thanks Pat : Strangely enough those two polylines are happy to 'compose' in a fresh blank file. 

4 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

As far as not seeing Compose, are you using a custom workspace?  If so it it likely that it has not been added to your workspace.

First try one of the default workspaces and see if you see it there. If you do then you need to edit your workspace and add it.

I just checked both the Fundamentals and Design Suite workspaces for VW2022 and Compose was in both of them.

image.png.9fd6abd47b9075cca24a5708ffd81a2b.png

I do have "compose" but not "combine".    And I really don't know what "join" is meant to do if not at the very least join two lines as one.

Thanks.

So, I'm also having this issue in version 2023 SP7. I've tried using "Join" in multiple files with other drawings and totaly blank files. I've restarted my machine, saved, and updated. 

I draw a poly line

I do an offset of 2"

I then draw two lines at either end to close off the two polylines

Then I try Join. The program beeps at me with no notification

then I tried the connect and combine tool and I was able to connect the various lines vertex by vertex until it was closed off. So a possible solution?

So, what happened to JOIN?????? Yes, connect/combine works but triple the time.

Join only works with two objects and they can't be parallel.  It will extend or shorten the lines to the point where they meet.  The Join No Trim version will extend one line to meet the other without shorting the second line.

Compose is the option you want to convert two lines into segments of a polygon or polyline. But the end points have to be coincident.