Rack 3D Layout

Rune Røsten

I have made custom hybrid symbols for some connector panels. Using them in Rack Elevation works as expected, but in Rack 3D Layout the symbol "breaks" and the connectors is not displayed where it should. If i place the symbol directly on the same layer it behaves fine. Can anyone help me identify what I have done wrong? Vectorworks 2022.

Attached is a screenshot of how it looks on my end with the symbol placed with equipment item in the rack to the right, and the symbol dragged in to the left.1256998616_Skjermbilde2022-02-20kl_15_06_25.thumb.png.f6d8342f0b0191216393152c51b8bdf0.png

Rack 3D Layout Test.vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Rune Røsten,

This seems to be an issue that we will have to analyze and work on a fix. Thanks for reporting it! In the meantime, a workaround to make this work better would be to find the offset graphics in your symbol and convert them to a mesh using the Convert to Mesh menu command. That way the offset issue is fixed.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Interesting! I tried converting those fairly complex sockets into symbols and then replacing the four groups (which are the same geometry) with symbol instances. This would be the right way to go anyway to reduce file size. When I did that the new symbols immediately landed in their correct places.

Obviously that's just a workaround and as Niko says we will investigate.

Generally when you pull in models from other software it is a good idea to factor it into symbols if you have the time because it can dramatically reduce file size, memory use etc.

Best

Conrad

• Like 1

Thank you @Nikolay Zhelyazkov and @Conrad Preen.

I am fairly new to both both Vectorworks and ConnectCAD so I appreciate all help with workarounds and other tips and tricks.

I want to ask a related question though. My goal is to have 3D connectors in the panels in Rack 3D Layout. It is probably better to edit the con_xxx symbols to be hybrid symbols to utilize the "get connectors" workflow, but although I can make it work it is kind of wonky since 2D top/plan orientation needs to be different from the 3D orientation to be placed correctly in the 3D rack. And if I view the Rack 3D Layout in top/plan or the Rack Elevation in any other view than top/plan it does not work. Any insight to how this can be done in the most efficient way?

I wonder also if it is possible to remove the panel text (CTP_xxx) in Rack 3D Layout like it is in Rack Elevation?

Hi @Rune Røsten

Yeah you're running into the things we have to do in order to have easy 2D drag and drop for populating racks. Equipment items need to draw in a 2D front view when they are mounted in a 2D rack in top/plan, but draw in 3D when they are free-standing. This means we are fighting the logic of Vectorworks a bit. Unfortunately we don't have a Front/Plan view available for rack elevation drawings so we have to make do with Top/Plan. And that means acrobatics...

Our lives as programmers would be easier if the entire rack workflow was 3D, but your life as a user would be harder. Any 3D placement operation involves adjusting the view first, or going into a mode to isolate the equipment and rack before placing. We've kicked this around the block a thousand times and still 2D drag and drop comes out unbeatably fast and intuitive.

Bottom line here - there isn't a lot of demand for 3D-modeled connectors. Most designers seem more concerned with getting their projects finished earlier rather than investing time in this kind of detail. Not that you can't do it - just be aware that it may not be possible to automate it.

10 hours ago, Rune Røsten said:

I wonder also if it is possible to remove the panel text (CTP_xxx) in Rack 3D Layout like it is in Rack Elevation?

I'll keep this in mind and expect a way to hide this text in a future version.

Best

Conrad

On 2/22/2022 at 1:09 PM, TomWhiteLight said:

"I wonder also if it is possible to remove the panel text (CTP_xxx) in Rack 3D Layout like it is in Rack Elevation?"

This won't show up in a section viewport provided Planar objects is unchecked in the viewport settings on the object info palate.

Yes, but that removes the socket name label as well?

Why have you got the sockets in the rack 3d layout? The sockets/devices should be on a separate layer? If you want to show 3d racks on top of devices and schematics combined somehow then i would use 2 separate viewports one on top of the other.

On 3/4/2022 at 5:14 PM, TomWhiteLight said:

Why have you got the sockets in the rack 3d layout? The sockets/devices should be on a separate layer? If you want to show 3d racks on top of devices and schematics combined somehow then i would use 2 separate viewports one on top of the other.

I don't. At least I am not drawing sockets in the rack 3D layout. But Connectcad can use the socket name of sockets on connector panels as the label on panels (equipment items) in both 2D rack elevation and 3D layout. Which is smart.

• Like 1