Materials Abandoned by Auto Hybrids in 2022?

willofmaine

Question

Is it just me, or do Materials and Auto Hybrids not work with each other in Vectorworks 2022?..

In both Vectorworks 2021 and 2022, in brand new blank files, do the following:

1.) Create 4' x 4' x 8' extrude.

2.) Apply "Brick Clay Modular MT" material to the extrude*.

3.) Duplicate the extrude, and change the height of the second extrude from 8' to 2'.

4.) Create an Auto Hybrid from both extrudes (use the default settings).

5.) Create a Horizontal Section Viewport (use the default settings, including for the Sheet creation).

(Files attached)

Issues:

1.) In Vectorworks 2021, in Top/Plan view, the Auto Hybrid displays the "Component Brick HF" hatch, as expected.  But in VW 2022, the hatch is not displayed; just a white fill is shown.  Why?!?

2.) In both Vectorworks 2021 and 2022, in the Horizontal Section Viewport, the "Component Brick HF" hatch displays for the cut plane, as expected, and, even better, the "Brick Modular Running Bond HF" surface hatch displays for the extrude that is below the cut plane.  It kinda seems like Auto Hybrids similarly should show the surface hatch below the cut plane, and not the cut plane hatch... 

Is there a new feature or setting that's necessary for Auto Hybrids to properly display materials in Vectorworks 2022 that I'm missing??  Thanks!  VWIS230

*Brick material can be found in the Resource Manager at: Vectorworks Libraries > Defaults > Materials > Materials.vwx > Masonry > "Brick Clay Modular MT".

04-VW 2021-Material.vwx 05-VW 2022-Material-00.vwx

• Like 3

13 answers to this question

@willofmaine I appreciate you looking into these workflows.  I've been dragging my feet on actually using 2022 due to the changes to Plant Objects.  I haven't fully embraced Materials yet due to random oddities encountered during trials of the feature.

It seems that 2023 will be out before I will be able to "trust" 2022, meanwhile my Service Select "pay us" reminders keep coming.  Feels like skipping 3 to 4 releases is starting to make more sense...

On 2/19/2022 at 9:19 PM, willofmaine said:

Is it just me, or do Materials and Auto Hybrids not work with each other in Vectorworks 2022?..

In both Vectorworks 2021 and 2022, in brand new blank files, do the following:

1.) Create 4' x 4' x 8' extrude.

2.) Apply "Brick Clay Modular MT" material to the extrude*.

3.) Duplicate the extrude, and change the height of the second extrude from 8' to 2'.

4.) Create an Auto Hybrid from both extrudes (use the default settings).

5.) Create a Horizontal Section Viewport (use the default settings, including for the Sheet creation).

(Files attached)

Issues:

1.) In Vectorworks 2021, in Top/Plan view, the Auto Hybrid displays the "Component Brick HF" hatch, as expected.  But in VW 2022, the hatch is not displayed; just a white fill is shown.  Why?!?

2.) In both Vectorworks 2021 and 2022, in the Horizontal Section Viewport, the "Component Brick HF" hatch displays for the cut plane, as expected, and, even better, the "Brick Modular Running Bond HF" surface hatch displays for the extrude that is below the cut plane.  It kinda seems like Auto Hybrids similarly should show the surface hatch below the cut plane, and not the cut plane hatch... 

Is there a new feature or setting that's necessary for Auto Hybrids to properly display materials in Vectorworks 2022 that I'm missing??  Thanks!  VWIS230

*Brick material can be found in the Resource Manager at: Vectorworks Libraries > Defaults > Materials > Materials.vwx > Masonry > "Brick Clay Modular MT".

04-VW 2021-Material.vwx 1.61 MB · 0 downloads 05-VW 2022-Material-00.vwx 1.6 MB · 2 downloads

I have this exact same problem. Worked fine in VW2021. Any news on when this will be solved?

On 6/26/2022 at 8:03 PM, jeff prince said:

It seems that 2023 will be out before I will be able to "trust" 2022, meanwhile my Service Select "pay us" reminders keep coming.  Feels like skipping 3 to 4 releases is starting to make more sense...

Well this certainly didn't age well in light of recent license changes 😞

• Like 2
On 9/20/2022 at 6:03 AM, Niels Timmer said:

I did a quick test and in VW 2023 this bug seems to be fixed 🥳

Unless your geometry is a solid subtraction (such as may be created with the new Offset Edge command), or a solid addition, or a generic solid, or a sweep...  apparently

pretty much everything except simple extrudes... But maybe I'm missing something.  Applies to both Materials and applied Fills. 

• Like 1