2022 - Class Marker Style - No None

Tom Klaber

Question

24 answers to this question

How about some work arounds.  Below are two scripts. The first sets the markers of the Active Class to a Custom style using the line thickness and an arrowhead offer length and zero angle.  The second script does the same but for every class in the document.

Run these from a script palette or make Plug-In Menu commands out of them and add them to your workspace.   For information on how to do either of these, see this pinned post:  

Procedure NoMarker;

{April 19, 2022}
{©2022 Patrick Stanford pat@coviana.com}
{Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License}

{No Warranty Expressed of Implied. Use at your own risk.}
{Sets custom markers of zero length and angle to the active class}

VAR
	S1		:String;
	B1		:Boolean;

BEGIN
	S1:=ActiveClass;
	B1:=SetClassBeginningMarker(S1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,0);
	B1:=SetClassEndMarker(S1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,0);
End;

Run(NoMarker);

Procedure NoMarkerAllClasses;

{April 19, 2022}
{©2022 Patrick Stanford pat@coviana.com}
{Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License}

{No Warranty Expressed of Implied. Use at your own risk.}
{Sets custom markers of zero length and angle to all classes}

VAR
	S1		:String;
	B1		:Boolean;
	L1		:LongInt;

BEGIN
	For L1:= 1 to ClassNum DO
		Begin
			S1:=ClassList(L1);
			B1:=SetClassBeginningMarker(S1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,0);
			B1:=SetClassEndMarker(S1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,0);
		End;
End;

Run(NoMarkerAllClasses);

Interesting that no-one from Vectorworks has entered this discussion.  It is very telling that VW are always quick to blame the users saying that we are not using the program as it is intended and that items are 'working as designed' and that there is a very good reason why the software is now operating in the way it does.

Can someone from VW please step up in and tell us why you have removed the 'none' marker setting ??

Also, I am not a programmer - why should I have to use a code to fix something which was not broken in the first place.

This one is almost up there with the debacle of the Title Block borders a few years back.

Or do we roll back to SP1 - as everyone knows that SP2 didn't actually work and that all bugs were meant to be sorted in SP3???

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Kevin C said:

Can someone from VW please step up in and tell us why you have removed the 'none' marker setting ??

I don't think there was ever a "none" setting in the Class Marker settings. The class settings only define what the markers look like if/when an object is set to use by-class markers in the Attributes Palette. The class settings don't determine IF markers are used; that's the job of the Attributes Palette.  If you deselect everything, make sure the Attributes Palette has markers set to "None," and then draw objects on that class, you shouldn't be getting any markers. Markers are only drawn if markers are enabled prior in the Attributes Palette prior to drawing something, or are manually turned on for an object.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the bug people are experiencing is more along the lines of the bug where Vectorworks adds markers to objects when the Attributes Palette Default is set to have markers on (despite the object itself being set to not have markers). As an example, in the current build, markers get added to Auto-Hybrids upon regeneration whenever the Attributes Palette is set to have markers on. The 2D geometry of an Auto-Hybrid should never have markers. This is a bug which has popped up before and has been fixed but has recently returned [VB-184415]. Perhaps this same issue is affecting other scenarios too hence this thread.

Again, I don't think this has anything to do with class settings. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 3

I think you might be right @Andy Broomell

In VW2022SP3, when you use the All Attributes by Class option in the Attributes Palette, the Markers are not set to By Class. So individual objects can be set to use markers or not.

If you truly want ALL attributes to be By Class but not have markers show you will have to use the zero size marker options discussed above.

I think in earlier versions of VW2022 the actual bug was that the markers were set to By Class when using the All Attributes By Class option.

3 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

I think in earlier versions of VW2022 the actual bug was that the markers were set to By Class when using the All Attributes By Class option.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I just tested out the original release and what you describe indeed happens. Whereas in the current build, choosing "Make All Attributes By Class" [with nothing selected] sets the markers to None, which is as it should be.

If an object is selected which ALREADY has markers on, the enabled markers will be switched to the Class style when choosing "Make All Attributes By Class."

• Like 3

I seem to remember that arrows used to be simpler, and that the interface allowed you to add or remove them with a single click, rather than having to pull down and select.  I don't know when this changed, and maybe I was not using By Class much at the time.

10 hours ago, E|FA said:

I seem to remember that arrows used to be simpler, and that the interface allowed you to add or remove them with a single click, rather than having to pull down and select.  I don't know when this changed, and maybe I was not using By Class much at the time.

It changed with the revised Attributes Palette which debuted in 2022. I remember someone saying the change was in order to make the interface consistent with other settings elsewhere, where "None" is the first option in a dropdown. I suppose it does clean up the look of the Attributes Palette a bit, but I too miss the ability to turn off markers with a single click rather than a long scroll list.

This just gave me an idea though... If they want to keep the GUI as-is, they should add a hotkey shortcut to quickly remove a marker, such as holding Cmd or Opt while clicking on the marker dropdown, in which case the marker would simply be removed with one click and the dropdown wouldn't pop up.

• Love 1
On 10/2/2022 at 10:11 AM, michaelk said:

I have seen this, but it was years ago.

If I remember…

Try 

0) Do this on a copy of the drawing.

1) Deselect everything - OIP should say "No Selection"

2) In the attributes palette, make sure there are no markers chosen.  If the markers are by class, best to turn that off.

3) Tools > Utiltiies > Reset All Plug-ins 

4) If it's a big drawing, go get a cup of coffee

I haven't seen this for years (are you using 2018 as it says in your signature?).  So I might be wrong.  But I remember that the key was to get all the plug-ins to reset themselves with the default line not having a marker.

Hi This seemed to allow the no marker selection . That was a pain thanks Michaelk 

Regards Alan

@AlanW...Unfortunately this is something altogether different. I am familiar with the old plug-in/leader conflict and have used your solution on many occassions, but this is a problem in basic object types...lines, polygons, etc. and has nothing to do with plug-in memory. I have notified VW of the problem and they have confirmed and are supposedly working on a solution.

• Like 1

I have recently came across the same issue and found the following solution that has worked for me.

When the drawn object has arrows showing and they cannot be removed through the attributes panel - Ensure the class with which the problem object is the active class. Ensure that the arrow settings in the Attributes palette has no arrows selected, draw a rectangle, eye dropper the rectangles settings and bucket this onto the problem objects.

My issue was that arrows were showing on wall section views (the external lines around the walls had arrow heads), upon doing this and refreshing the section the arrows were removed. Hopefully this works.

God speed with your future Vectorworks endeavours!

H

I was having a similar issue and @Tom W. sent me this way.

On my problem file I had 12 different data tags - 2 unrelated of them started to have arrow heads at the transition from shoulder to leader.

They were also on to separated classes.

Poking around I noticed that at some point I had set my default 'line startpoint style" to an arrowhead.

After I reset my "no selected object" line attributes to 'None', and I changed the affected Data Tags to a different class and then back to their original class, the arrowhead issue went away.

• Like 1