drawing set-up for a renovation project

Connie

I'm doing a house renovation project using version 10.5. I've drawn an existing floor plan and now want to create new classes that show both the areas to be demolished and the new configuration. Eventually the info will be separated into a demolition plan and a new floor plan, but some of the existing plan configuration will be shown where work isn't being done. What's the best way to set this up?

Connie,

Armstrong's recommendation is excellent and presumes you're fairly compentent both with your craft as well as VWA. Laying out the workflow of a project is no small challenge.

If you find it a bit cryptic, you might benefit from Archoncad's training/reference manual(s). We use them for all new hires and I even refer back occasionally. You'll find them at http://www.archoncad.co.nz

Or, perhaps, spend a long weekend down in the Carribean and hire the "mon" to conduct training.

Good luck,

[ 08-24-2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Travis ]

quote:

Originally posted by Connie:

I'm doing a house renovation project using version 10.5. I've drawn an existing floor plan and now want to create new classes that show both the areas to be demolished and the new configuration. Eventually the info will be separated into a demolition plan and a new floor plan, but some of the existing plan configuration will be shown where work isn't being done. What's the best way to set this up?

Don't know much about v10.5 but I would do separate Plans for each and then in the end do a creative multiple Viewport collage turning on and off whatever class you need.

quote:

Originally posted by Kristen:

Our office uses classes only to distinguish between New, Existing, and Demo.

For example:

E-wall

N-wall stud

N-wall masonry

etc.

Otherwise you end up with some weird situations if you want to, say, put a new door in an existing wall.

That's also my system.

BTW, when I want to put a new door in an existing wall (happens all the time) I fix the "hole in the wall" in the DEMO sheet by inserting a demo rectangle with the appropriate hatch, color & dash as you mentioned. As a rule in remodelations anything removed or demolished goes into the DEMO class.

Our office uses classes only to distinguish between New, Existing, and Demo.

For example:

E-wall

N-wall stud

N-wall masonry

etc.

Otherwise you end up with some weird situations if you want to, say, put a new door in an existing wall.

This is also useful because you can use class attributes for lineweights. The demo class can default to a dashed line.

We generally use layers for different floors of a building. Then you only need sheet setups for Demo, Floor Plan, RCP, and you can just switch from floor to floor by changing the active layer, rather than needing a separate view for each floor.

Just a slightly different take on organization that works well for our office.

quote:

Originally posted by Ramon PG:

BTW, when I want to put a new door in an existing wall (happens all the time) I fix the "hole in the wall" in the DEMO sheet by inserting a demo rectangle with the appropriate hatch, color & dash as you mentioned. As a rule in remodelations anything removed or demolished goes into the DEMO class.

Yes, that's what we do, too. I just don't like the idea of separating existing, new, and demo by layer. Partly because I don't like having to put new objects on the existing layer if I want to insert them in an existing wall.

[/qb]Yes, that's what we do, too. I just don't like the idea of separating existing, new, and demo by layer. Partly because I don't like having to put new objects on the existing layer if I want to insert them in an existing wall. [/QB]

I think I didn't explain that correctly. We don't separate existing, new, and demo by layer but by class, as I think you said. We just add the rectangle in the demo layer because it seems futile to do a 3D wall in demo class. Unless you want to keep tabs on sq ft or cu. ft. of wall demolition for some reason.

I like to draw the exisiting house as much as I can, with all the windows and doors in place and the roof on.

Next, you can either copy the file or copy everything to a layer. The reason for this is that sometimes you want to put back a wall that you have removed. The spare drawing allows you to go back and copy the wall that you want back.

Then on the wall layer, split all the walls where you want to rennovate the building, putting the walls on the demolished class (you can use a wall type for this).

Try to keep as much as you can on one layer of the building. Think of the layers as being like a storey. But as much as you can on a storey, and use classes to separate the information, including the notes...

Think of layers also as the environment for different scales.

Simple, elegant layering is key to drawing management.

Remember that layer visibility is dependent upon layer order...can get very confusing.

Also, 10.5 doesn't have viewports, an important component of information management, and one which allows creativity in viewing and printing options. But what you don't know won't hurt you.

Another consideration is DWG/DXF importation. Do import layers as classes. This will cause an untold number of classes, but that's better than an untold number of layers. Don't import a site topo without first understanding what is likely to happen with classes. It's possibly best to use a separate file for sitework, if importing is necessary. Maybe best to paste your new work into an existing, imported site file. Remember that pasted stuff only goes into the active layer...

quote:

Originally posted by archoncad:

Try to keep as much as you can on one layer of the building. Think of the layers as being like a storey. But as much as you can on a storey, and use classes to separate the information, including the notes...

I also think that's the way to go. Be it Existing, Demo or New.

Thanks, everybody. I feel clearer about the setup, but I still have a few questions about how some things will work. For example: I have an existing wall drawn from the E-wall class. I insert a window symbol into it from the N-window class, which breaks the wall. If I want to display the existing plan. I turn the N-window class off, but the break in the wall still shows. My solution is to insert a section of wall into the break from the E-wall class so that the wall will look continuous. Is there an easier way to do this?

when you insert an N-window into an E-wall, shouldn?t you also have a view where you turn off the N-window and show the portion of the wall that has to be removed to allow for the window. So yes, there should be a part of the wall missing, and I draw a rectangle and assign it to the Wall-Demolished class so that it shows up in my existing drawing as a demolished wall.