Obj Attribute not working in texture

Tom W.

Can anyone explain to me why this texture, when applied to an object, doesn't pick up the colour I specify in the Attributes palette?

77717244_Screenshot2022-02-17at13_59_34.thumb.png.77118fef226dcf7b7cfaefb24147f9bb.png

I think this is a default texture in the libraries somewhere.

I have other Obj Attribute textures using Plastic Reflectivity + they work fine. And what's weird is that if I use the button in the OIP to edit the texture the object shows up with the correct colour in the preview:

1553689348_Screenshot2022-02-17at14_08_58.thumb.png.7b790b8bcd24b810869c6a03dc17469a.png

But not when I return to the design space:

2031418639_Screenshot2022-02-17at14_09_11.thumb.png.795bc9416b617323a3cc35ed556717de.png

Anyone else noticing this or got any ideas? I will try in VW2021 + see if it's the same...

Ok I don't really understand metal reflectivity very well but I've checked some other metal textures I have + there the colour is generated in the Metallic shader whilst the Color shader is always set to black. So I guess this is just how metal textures are created + therefore aren't suitable for control by Obj Attribute...?

I checked VW2021 + VW2020 + was the same

Thanks for testing! But this has got me wondering how these things work. I've gone through a load of metal textures I inherited from a Jim Wilson training video + in all cases the Color shader is set to black + the colour of the texture (i.e. its appearance: red, blue, grey, copper, bronze, etc) is determined by the Color parameter in the Metallic shader. So I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to make red, blue, green, etc metal-effect textures setting the colour in the Color shader instead i.e. the way it would work using Obj Attribute... What would I make the colour for the Metallic shader? White I guess? I need to do some testing... But basically I've always been a bit confused about what colour to set in the reflectivity shader + this has made me more confused! 

But aside from this, I think you're right: it's not working consistently + strange how the obj attribute colour shows up in the edit preview so must be a bug. Just need to check what a metal-effect texture made this way would look like though... I'm hesitant to deviate from the Jim W. model!

5 hours ago, Tom W. said:

+ there the colour is generated in the Metallic shader whilst the Color shader is always set to black. So I guess this is just how metal textures are created + therefore aren't suitable for control by Obj Attribute...?

Yes, Metals in Physically Based Rendering (like in Reality) have no Diffuse Color,

like Dielectrics have, just Reflection.

Metals either reflect Light, or they will just absorb it and convert it to heat.

Light can't enter their surface. Which it does for Dielectrics, where Light will be

spread in all directions > Diffuse Color.

4 hours ago, Tom W. said:

So I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to make red, blue, green, etc metal-effect textures setting the colour in the Color shader instead i.e. the way it would work using Obj Attribute...

Mostly such special effects on (over) Metals like anodization are oxide Layers,

which are no more Metals but dielectrics and have a Diffuse Color appearance again.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, zoomer said:

Yes, Metals in Physically Based Rendering (like in Reality) have no Diffuse Color,

like Dielectrics have, just Reflection.

Metals either reflect Light, or they will just absorb it and convert it to heat.

Light can't enter their surface. Which it does for Dielectrics, where Light will be

spread in all directions > Diffuse Color.

Mostly such special effects on (over) Metals like anodization are oxide Layers,

which are no more Metals but dielectrics and have a Diffuse Color appearance again.

Very informative thank you!

3 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

thumbnails in the Resource Manager are worthless

It would be really good to have a more sophisticated way of controlling how resources are displayed in the thumbnails (or RM preview pane). It would be great to have the option to display custom-created images such as yours above for individual resources.

• Like 3