Stairs

Connie

Hello All,

I am using VectorWorks Architect Version 10.1 .

I am trying to do some simple stair layouts for a custom railing design. I want to create this in 3d and detail some elevations.

I am having a problem with the automatic stair layout tool. The stair I want is not there. Do I need to create my own custom stair?

Any other hints would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Connie

Connie, the stair tool (plug-in) is indeed rather limited. If your stairs do not fit any of the predetermined configurations available, you will need to create it. There are a few ways to do this, but I find that it is easiest to use the stair tool as much as possible and then to create my own landings and winders. Then, by going to a side (or front) view, you can raise/lower the different elements to their correct heights. Please post back if you require more detailed info.

On the subject of stairs ... recently ... an out of print edition of the most comprehensive stair design & construction book ever written ( 1920's) has been re-published. And it is amazing in the depth of detail and knowledge provided including all the necessary math to design and fabricate every type including the central stairway of the Titanic ! It's an essential reference. Will post info later when I get home.

Yep that book sounds interesting.

I remember Julian Carrs 3d manager add on for VW8 that allowed users to create pretty impressive curved stairs, among other things.

Haven't played with the extrude along path tools in VW11 much but does anyone know whether such things can still be made with a plug-in or similar?

Thx

Yikes .. I left home without the book this morning ... so I'll post it later today. Travis you will definitely appreciate this incredible reference. It not only provides all the plans-sections-elevations-details-photographs it also gives all the SAW CUTS and JOINS and it provides specific definitions and names for all the parts & tools & trades ! Reading it is a mind-blower ... how the hell did they do that...

Included is a foto of a typical 1:24 scale model of a twisting spiral ellipical stair... some dude built in order to graduate from stair school...yeowzaaaa