VW2022 Line Endpoint Style Always Visible When Make All Attributes By Class

ericjhberg

Question

We are finally transitioning to VW2022 and noticed that the line endpoint style (i.e. arrow, dot, etc.) is always visible on objects that are set to Make All Attributes by Class. It appears that this is intentional since in previous versions, the ability to have endpoints visible under when setting objects to use the class settings wasn't possible and had to be controlled on individual elements. 

That said, it doesn't appear that there is anywhere to set a class style to have NONE as an option for the endpoint style? You can individually set objects to have no endpoint, but this defeats the purpose of the Make All Attributes By Class.

It seems that VW solved one problem by creating another...and the solution is to add the ability to have a endpoint style be set to None in the class settings.

Am I missing something?

• Like 2

8 answers to this question

I don't believe this is going to be changed.

I do believe that in VW 2022 SP3, the action of the Set All Attributes By Class was changed so that the markers are not set to By Class. 

Since the number of objects that you will want to have markers is typically much lower than the number without, the ability/requirement to manually set those objects to By Class seems reasonable.

While I agree with you that a None marker and setting all attributes to By Class would be a good solution, I have a feeling there is something deeper in the implementation that makes this challenging.

• Like 2

Thanks @Pat Stanford. You're right, I just checked this out in SP3 and it appears to be "fixed"...meaning it at least reverted back to prior functionality where markers were not activated as a part of Make All Attributes By Class.

While I think this functionality is fine and matches the way we have used the program forever...I didn't have an issue with the idea that maybe markers could/should be activated for certain specific classes through Make All Attributes By Class...only if that were the case, then None should also be an option in the Class Settings.

Anyway, as long as it stays this way, I guess I'm still fine with it.

Thanks again.

I am up to date but this is still a problem for me - now vectorworks automatically has the default as arrowheads. There is no none option. I have created a marker with a "0" size to set all my line types so that they don't show up with arrows, but this is really a problem as our design file template was built without this, and then I have to go correct the few line types that do require arrows or tics. Have there been any other updates to this?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DaniAKA said:

There is no none option.

Where are you referring to when you say this? There should be a "None" option at the top of the marker list in the Attributes Palette, but let us know if that's missing for you.

Otherwise, if you're talking about setting up Class attributes, there never was a None option for markers in this window.

One thing to double check: before drawing objects, make you sure to deselect everything, then set markers to None in the Attributes Palette, then try drawing things. Does this affect what you're experiencing?

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 1

I have been talking with VW staff on this issue over JIRA, but essentially have traced it down to a bug. There is actually different functionality on this issue in Windows vs. MacOS.

On Windows, starting in VW 2022, the Make All Attributes by Class option will add an endpoint style to ALL objects and the only way to remove it is by manually removing the endpoint style...defeating the Make All Attributes by Class benefit.

On MacOS, this does not occur and the functionality of previous versions remains in tact where Make All Attributes by Class DOES NOT affect the endpoint style of objects, but endpoints can be added to objects manually.

Obviously, the differentiating functionality across versions of the program means that this is an issue, and I only see two ways of resolving it.

1. Match the current Mac behavior (which was the typical behavior pre-2022) and make it so that endpoint styles do NOT respond to Make All Attributes by Class settings.
  2. OR (preferable)...just add a None option to the Class settings for endpoint styles...allowing for users to specify certain classes that my want endpoint styles to be by class, while others more typically can be set to none. If you choose this route, behaviors on both platforms should match though.
9 minutes ago, ericjhberg said:

On Windows, starting in VW 2022, the Make All Attributes by Class option will add an endpoint style to ALL objects and the only way to remove it is by manually removing the endpoint style...defeating the Make All Attributes by Class benefit.

This wasn't fixed in a Service Pack for Windows? If that's the case then it's certainly a bug and needs to be addressed so that it matches the Mac behavior.