Site Modifiers

I'm working to get site modifiers working on this site.  I have a stepped series of walls.  I've tried doing individual Retaining Wall Site Modifiers and the entire connected large section of wall with various levels of success...between crashes.  I feel like a new driver burning up the clutch.  One thing I'm seeing is in my site model each time I manipulate the modifiers the modifier line grows...Its almost like its making a copy.  I've deleted and start over several times as I work through it.  Do they reproduce as you work with them or do I have a setting incorrect.  I'm also having trouble getting the cursor to recognize the site modifier.  It snaps to everything around it but the modifier is tough to get ahold of.  After the past two days of modifier fun I'm thinking that from a graphic representation standpoint it may be more expedient to build the whole project from graded pads, hardscapes and landscapes and not bother with modifiers taking advantage of the alignment feature when available.  It seems as if there are several ways to tackle the problem.

7 minutes ago, Landartma said:

I'm also having trouble getting the cursor to recognize the site modifier.  It snaps to everything around it but the modifier is tough to get ahold of. 

It's good to put site modifiers on their own dedicated design layer, to make them easier to access. And also gives you more control when specifying what specific site modifiers you want the site model to 'talk' to.

Yea I was putting them in a modifier layer.  It seems to work better when I copy it and paste in place into my modeling layer.  I'm thinking of keeping a copy of those layers when the layers go squirrely and create an layer tornado by sending a bunch of elevations a few hundred feet down the on the Z layer.  Do you put all modifiers on one layer or keep them separate?

19 hours ago, Tom W. said:

...It's good to put site modifiers on their own dedicated design layer, to make them easier to access. And also gives you more control when specifying what specific site modifiers you want the site model to 'talk' to...

Tom, every time I try this workflow it doesn't work.

I go to 'site model settings' / general tab / 'use site modifies on:' / 'select layers'

And then I select my 'V-SITE-MODIFIERS design layer.

Nothing....

So I select all my modifiers and move them to my site model layer (and change the setting to 'same layer as site model') and it immediately shows the red 'update' button.

I have no idea why I can't get this simple process to work.

@Landartma since I can't seem to get site modifiers on a separate layer to work, I just set my classes to grey snap others or active only when I'm working on site modifiers.... more clicks definitely - but it does work to isolate the modifiers

5 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

Tom, every time I try this workflow it doesn't work.

I go to 'site model settings' / general tab / 'use site modifies on:' / 'select layers'

Nothing....

So I select all my modifiers and move them to my site model layer (and change the setting to 'same layer as site model') and it immediately shows the red 'update' button.

I have no idea why I can't get this simple process to work.

@Landartma since I can't seem to get site modifiers on a separate layer to work, I just set my classes to grey snap others or active only when I'm working on site modifiers.... more clicks definitely - but it does work to isolate the modifiers

Modifiers on separate design layers should work for you.  I have a site model with 4 different schemes of development on different design layers.  To display each option, I simply configure the design layer to listen to the appropriate layer and update my model.  Works perfectly.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I followed the advise I got here then learned to Right click on an active layer Select Coincident Objects then choose between the site modifier and the site model.  I put my modifier on one layer and model on the other.  The site model was set to General/Use Site Modifiers On/Select Layers/Site Modifiers.

@hollister design Studio I did not have the issue with 

Nothing....

It seems to work fine.  I'm wondering if your having another issue.  I did have what is referred to as either a corrupted file or in technical terms user created HOT MESS and on that I was having trouble just getting to select the layers I wanted.