Pointcloud section? Is it possible?

Hi,

is it possible to create a section viewport of a pointcloud somehow on a sheet layer? Whatever i do, the RGB colored pointcloud is only visible in white.

It does not show up in hidden line render and i need a background set up to actually see something on a white background.

1047502896_Screenshot2022-02-14at23_05_30.thumb.png.43e2fdf9636d862a5b73fea97f0213eb.png

This is the original rgb colored one on a design layer:

1394723939_Screenshot2022-02-14at23_06_23.thumb.png.95d7b027c720f2ebfe7beffecea427de.png

And this is the hidden line render version:

866151451_Screenshot2022-02-14at23_09_02.thumb.png.7bbe4e3815b343663f1afc677f2cb2a3.png

Have you tried the same file in VW2021? I am getting strange results in VW2022 too.

In VW2021:

179212168_Screenshot2022-02-15at19_09_32.thumb.png.f1620bac1720479e86be19cd2fc48bd3.png

In VW2022:

1596130621_Screenshot2022-02-15at19_08_05.thumb.png.85cdd8f47d4378a1babc6548702c4cad.png

No colour.

Plus in VW2022 some other weird things happening, like if I copy one of the VPs + change the extents I just end up with a blank VP.

I think it is normal to not see anything in Hidden Line because Point Clouds are OpenGL/Shaded only.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Definitely something to send to Tech Support or file a bug over!

What is really annoying is every time I change a setting to try to root out what's going on the VP just goes blank so I have to create a new one.

Perhaps @Luis M Ruiz can shed some light on the matter?

Would you mind sharing the file in a private message? I'll take a look at it.

• Like 1

Point clouds seem not to render correctly in VW2022, viewports.  I had to backsave all my models on my project to VW2020, for me to work with them.  Not sure what is going on.   I assumed it was something to do with the switch to the new Shaded Renderer that replaced Open GL.

Edited by cberg
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, cberg said:

I assumed it was something to do with the switch to the new Shaded Renderer that replaced Open GL.

I thought so too but the same thing was happening in other Render Modes so then I wasn't sure...

8 hours ago, Luis M Ruiz said:

Would you mind sharing the file in a private message? I'll take a look at it.

Thanks Luis do you still want to look at a file given the issue has been reported as a bug?

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, TLi said:

Hi @Kazemester, Are you able to send the file to us? We could take a look if you can attach the file here or send it to us tli@vectorworks.net. Thanks.

Hi!

I've mailed you the link to the file. Thanks for the advices.

13 hours ago, jbtroost said:

Hi @Kazemester, what is the procedure you follow when using a pointcloud for an interior design? Do you add 3d polys to the walls of the room, or do you leave the area as is?

You mean to use the lidar data to "reproduce" the interior? If that is the question, i just simply create sections in the Leica's own software (Cyclone) and than i just add the scaled .pngs to Vectorworks. I attached png example that i used last time for facade reconstruction and the same applies to floor plans as well...just the cutting plane is horizontal instead of vertical. (2nd pic) Than i just use walls to recreate the interior.

Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 10.22.39.png

Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 10.26.42.png

• Like 1

Wouldn’t it be awesome to actually 3d-scan the room/building/object from within Nomad & then upload (import) it into your drawing…

Nomads most recent version has seperate options for uploading photos to generate a 3d polygon out of it,  as well as an option for making a lidar pointcloud.
Sooo… why not combine them all & merge them into an option to create a 3d-scan. Using nothing more than your phone with a lidar sensor 🤪

*types request on wishlist for Nomad 12*

Edited by jbtroost
7 hours ago, jbtroost said:

Wouldn’t it be awesome to actually 3d-scan the room/building/object from within Nomad & then upload (import) it into your drawing…

Nomads most recent version has seperate options for uploading photos to generate a 3d polygon out of it,  as well as an option for making a lidar pointcloud.
Sooo… why not combine them all & merge them into an option to create a 3d-scan. Using nothing more than your phone with a lidar sensor 🤪

*types request on wishlist for Nomad 12*

Yeah i sometimes use that when i shoot with a drone but i like to have more adjustments and settings. On the ground i use lidar...i though it comes through with the screenshots. Those images i attached are made from a 3D scans. Like this one:

Snap4.jpg

Il 17/3/2022 alle 22:57, Kazemester ha detto:

@zenoSP3 non ha ancora risolto questo problema. È un po' meglio, ma comunque...

come dovrebbe essere.png

com'è.png

hello. You can’t render pointclouds on hidden line. Only shaded mode. But you need to see it clearly so i suggest you to render the cloud on max 90-100 dpi (maybe less 60-70) and then duplicate the viewport if you need to do something else. The bug talked about the issue on sp2 where you can’t render the cloud whit shaded mode on 2022. 
but i’m not sure i’m understand what what you need exaclty.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, zeno said:

hello. You can’t render pointclouds on hidden line. Only shaded mode. But you need to see it clearly so i suggest you to render the cloud on max 90-100 dpi (maybe less 60-70) and then duplicate the viewport if you need to do something else. The bug talked about the issue on sp2 where you can’t render the cloud whit shaded mode on 2022. 
but i’m not sure i’m understand what what you need exaclty.

Yes i know, i wanted to render it on shaded now...but as you said it is a dpi thing. Thanks!

The "sheet layer pointcloud section render bug" is resolved in SP3, but the pointcloud is still problematic as i just can't see it nicely above 72 dpi. (It is almost invisible in webview too...)  If i turn the sheet layer's dpi down to 72 or lower the pointcloud is more visible, but than the drawing is pixelated. I know the workaround (save the low res pic, than import it back again and render it in 300dpi...etc.), but simply adding more options for pointcloud would be the absolute win as i don't have to do it over and over again as i change something in the pointcloud. I mean just to add a "set point size" setting that could solve the dpi problem. The blue background pics are just examples of setting the point size of the same pointcloud. 

ps.:or maybe a better top/plan view...similar to Faro's overview map. (see bw attached pic)

Screenshot 2022-03-21 at 9.55.25.png

Screenshot 2022-03-21 at 10.01.45.png

Screenshot 2022-03-21 at 10.02.19.png

56 minutes ago, Kazemester said:

the pointcloud is still problematic as i just can't see it nicely above 72 dpi. (It is almost invisible in webview too...)  If i turn the sheet layer's dpi down to 72 or lower the pointcloud is more visible, but than the drawing is pixelated.

Is this not a result of the scan resolution being too low?