Reshape arrow circuit connectors

elc

grafik.thumb.png.31440bbfe268536bfc909f4a6e172b53.png

hello,

is it possible to reposition the source/destination flag of a circuit with arrows?
Using the reshape tool didn't work.

I would like to have the bottom flag in the same position as the upper one without having to use a termination panel (which we don't use in this case)

thanks,

george

(sorry, if this question has been asked before. couldn't find anything. but in that case a link to the post or the help page would be great too. 🙂 )

Edited by elc
added tags

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov

great, thanks for the hint.

Is there also a way to change the route of the cable path? as far as I can see, I can't adjust the path in your sample screenshot with the reshape tool, right?

same for the destination. changing the offset allows only for to changes of direction and the vertical line appears to be always in the middle between destination and flag. (red)

what I wanted to achieve was grouping all incoming cables of a schematic page at the top left (green) and all outgoing cables at the bottom right.

guess this can't be done?

grafik.png.9f1590658915a0ebe6f28439fade49b9.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 minutes ago, elc said:

Is there also a way to change the route of the cable path? as far as I can see, I can't adjust the path in your sample screenshot with the reshape tool, right?

same for the destination. changing the offset allows only for to changes of direction and the vertical line appears to be always in the middle between destination and flag. (red)

what I wanted to achieve was grouping all incoming cables of a schematic page at the top left (green) and all outgoing cables at the bottom right.

guess this can't be done?

The path of the arrow circuit is either a straight line or a polygon 1 vertex at each end and 2 in the middle of the path. So I think that it is not possible to achieve such customization that you are looking for.

• Sad 1

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov
fyi only: Turns out, this is kind of a bigger issue than expected for our client. (Sticking to the drawing standard with arrows coming in from the top left and leaving the schematic page on the bottom right). I am playing around now with other options (e.g. adding sort of a virtual termination panel to allow me to re-route the cable coming in/ going out and label it with data tags... which at the current state will be a maintenance nightmare... any other ideas?), but without much success. 😕

But linked issue: Where can I set the layout for *all* circuits?

(e.g. arrows for all of them instead of boxes (a) or what kind of info is on the label (b).) It's neither in the ConnectCAD settings nor the classes. And I can use something like the pick up tool to apply it to all my circuits?

Thanks.

Best,

George

grafik.png.399a1a07dd9b55074b9924663bb14ee7.png
a - Different cable styles in the same schematic. 😞

grafik.png.52dada0b942b39ef2e3ac5300797cbea.png

b - Local/individual circuit settings

Edited by elc
"fyi only"
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @elc,

10 minutes ago, elc said:

But linked issue: Where can I set the layout for *all* circuits?

(e.g. arrows for all of them instead of boxes (a) or what kind of info is on the label (b).) It's neither in the ConnectCAD settings nor the classes. And I can use something like the pick up tool to apply it to all my circuits?

- You can use Edit Circuit Graphics, which I think you have already used? You can select multiple circuits and edit the graphics for all of them at once. You can also set the default circuit graphics so that newly created circuits directly use the new graphics. More on the topic here - https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2022/eng/VW2022_Guide/ConnectCAD/Customizing_ConnectCAD_objects.htm#h

Let me know if this gets the job done or I did not understand well your question here.

14 minutes ago, elc said:

Turns out, this is kind of a bigger issue than expected for our client. (Sticking to the drawing standard with arrows coming in from the top left and leaving the schematic page on the bottom right). I am playing around now with other options (e.g. adding sort of a virtual termination panel to allow me to re-route the cable coming in/ going out and label it with data tags... which at the current state will be a maintenance nightmare... any other ideas?), but without much success.

- To me it looks kinda odd to have the devices on the right and want the arrows connected to them to be on the far left. I think that that way the drawing will become harder to read, since the circuits are far from the devices. Would it be possible to change the location of the devices, so that the regular arrow reshape looks good or is not needed at all? I cannot think of another way to go for this, apart from using extra circuits and devices as you have already tried.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

13 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Let me know if this gets the job done or I did not understand well your question here.

This does get the job done indeed. Thank you.
In the german version the general setting for circuits is not under General (doesn't exist), but under the "Units" tab... which makes no sense at all. 🙂

17 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

To me it looks kinda odd to have the devices on the right and want the arrows connected to them to be on the far left.

Well, different countries/industries/companies... different standards, I guess. 🙂

(But it does actually have it's benefits too, depending on schematic size and amount of cables coming in/ going out)

Guess, I will have to make this post a feature request? 😉
First idea: Since the cables represented by cable jumps are somehow drawn in the background anyway (blue squares in image below, when I select a cable jump with the Reshape tool), maybe it could be set up in a way, that one can decide, how much of the cable on either side is shown? Then I could draw the invisible cable connection however crazy I want.

Thanks anyway. 👍

grafik.png.ef9c04905161a97bbb0b3d18335cd4ba.png

• 1 year later...

I would like to do something similar to requested above. In fact I have done it before but have no idea how as I can't replicated it for new cables. See cable 101 in the screenshot below.

I would like more arrow circuits with the cable re-routed in a similar way. Any ideas how I achieved this in the existing part of the drawing and how I can do it again?

image.thumb.png.e31efc1b4556f4ec907ddf74125f78f5.png

Incidentally, I can't even move the arrow position using the OIP offset values as Nikolay suggests above (maybe that was the method), as they are not shown in the OIP:

image.png.1286c503baa0ca808e801f8657967343.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...