Connectors with more than one signal type.

Rune Røsten

I am looking for suggestions on how others tackle connectors with more than one signal type.

I am trying to draw a schematic with a connector panel consisting of 5 pin XLRs. The first three pins are audio and originates from a processor with 3 pin XLRs. Pin 4 and 5 are a proprietary databus signal for remote monitoring the speakers.

Later on I will run into the same issue with Veam/LK37 multipin connectors where 6 circuits (18 pins) are audio, but there is also the same remote signal in addition to 5 pins going to a laser/inclinometer system with power +/-, laser on and data +/- pins.

I can see this becoming an issue for others as well. The hybrid connector market are growing.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hey @Rune Røsten

a) don't get hung up on what signal type to use - you can always add your own special types

b) if you are breaking out from these connectors to other devices i.e. audio going one place - data going another you can connect two circuits to the same socket and then in the circuit, override the signal set by the connect tool in the object info palette.

Hope that helps.

Conrad

7 hours ago, Conrad Preen said:

Hey @Rune Røsten

a) don't get hung up on what signal type to use - you can always add your own special types

b) if you are breaking out from these connectors to other devices i.e. audio going one place - data going another you can connect two circuits to the same socket and then in the circuit, override the signal set by the connect tool in the object info palette.

Hope that helps.

Conrad

Thanks @Conrad Preen

a) I know, and I have done it

b) This is what I am doing now, but it produces errors with the "Check Drawing" command. Am I doing something wrong?

And do you have any suggestions to where I can denote which pins a circuit/signal use in a connector/socket? And remember this can be different in source/destination.

-Rune