Hidden Line rendering not working

MHBrown

Question

I'm on a MBP 16", VW2022 SP1, OS Monterey, 32GB RAM. Among the many problems with VW2022, the one bothering me the most right now is an apparently broken hidden line renderer. Note the image of the Hidden Line render done in the design layer. It correctly only renders what is visible--although it is fleeting. As soon as the mouse is moved it goes to mostly wireframe. Sometimes. Not always. In a Viewport, however, as shown in the second image, only a few of the lines are hidden. It also does not render symbols, but instead shows them in Top/Plan view, even when Top is selected as the view in the viewport. In general, this is a very sluggish update, but this viewport rendering problem is a real deal killer. Any ideas?

Thanks,

MH Brown

Design Layer Hidden Line render.png

Viewport Hidden Line render.png

13 answers to this question

No, Unified View is apparently a legacy tool that is no longer considered a part of VW unless you add it. It looks like it is a bug with this version. I'm using a pristine NEW document in 2022. I ended up having to create a Copy to Lines 2D drawing--ala MiniCAD ca. 1998-- and use that (after lots of line removal. Even my line lights had rendered although that is turned off.) I might just export to 2018 and work on my 2015 MBP. Thanks for the tip. Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,

Mike

I managed to fix it by checking the "solid" fill box. Now, I should say, that ALL the shapes were already solid. The model was rendering just fine in other modes. I remember this problem with other versions of VW, so I tried it. It's sort of like kicking the shapes in the head and saying "hey, you're filled!" That, of course, does not fix the problem. I could send you the file, but now that it is working properly I don't think it would help. I should also add that the objects were not exotic shapes. One was a sweep, but the others were just extruded polygons. There were some closed polylines that didn't work and I converted them to polygons. Everything worked after the "Fill" booster shot. Thanks for the offer. I can still post the file if you'd like to see it.

Mike

• Like 2

I've been having issues with hidden line rendering (and dashed hidden line) but only with objects that have been created using the mirror tool. The original extrude fills exactly the way it is supposed to, as does a copied extrude, but the mirrored object renders incorrecty. 

Anyone find a solution to this? (Solid fill is being used, all points are appropriately connected, etc. When I first noticed the problem, I started playing with simple polygons and extrudes in a new file to figure out what was going on. It happens the same way every time).

Thanks!

On 3/16/2022 at 11:15 AM, MHBrown said:

I managed to fix it by checking the "solid" fill box. Now, I should say, that ALL the shapes were already solid. The model was rendering just fine in other modes. I remember this problem with other versions of VW, so I tried it. It's sort of like kicking the shapes in the head and saying "hey, you're filled!" That, of course, does not fix the problem. I could send you the file, but now that it is working properly I don't think it would help. I should also add that the objects were not exotic shapes. One was a sweep, but the others were just extruded polygons. There were some closed polylines that didn't work and I converted them to polygons. Everything worked after the "Fill" booster shot. Thanks for the offer. I can still post the file if you'd like to see it.

Mike

I am having the same problem in all views.  Changing items to solid fill corrects the problem.  I don't recall doing this in version 2021.

Edited by jmhanby

I sometimes have to click the "solid" window twice to get it to work properly--on every filled object! Talk about a time-waster. I just upgraded to SP4 and none of the bugs I'm aware of have been fixed:

- This hidden line not rendering problem.

- I can't switch between open files by clicking on the window tabs.

- Imported PDFs, regardless of size, still result in the spinning pinwheel when moving or even dimensioning.

- Images and dimension strings flicker and disappear and reappear and flicker... when inside Edit Attributes. It is almost unusable.

- Texture thumbnail images in the Resource Window are still missing, replaced by some sort of default white-to-black gradient. Awful.

I don't think anything was done in SP4. It was pretty pointless to upgrade; ten minutes I'll never get back.

MHBrown

So I have been making all element solid so that they show right in hidden line mode.  Everything is working except for the railings.   The railings on the stairs are going to hidden line but the stand alone railings are not. How can I get the railings to show as hidden line mode instead of wireframe  while in hidden mode view?  Vectorworks 2022

Screenshot 2022-10-27 095624.png