Corner windows

clipper

I am drawing houses using a 2 cavity wall type for the external walls (90mm framing and 140mm brick cavity. I am adding corner windows where two windows meet at the ext corner. Producing the window is not a problem but the external wall cavity still forms at the very corner creating something similar to a post when the model is rendered. What is the remedy for this ?

clipper

It's not clear what you want to achieve - do you want a 90x90 timber corner post with window jambs beside, and the brick veneer wrapping round below with a mitred brick corner, or do want no post at all (cantilevered lintels) with either a meeting corner window jamb or a glued glass corner

Any of these is possible with the latest WinDoor - use the window tool for the former as Jonathon suggests (you might have to add low walls for the brick corner and a column for the post), use the bay window tool for the latter.

Regards

David W

Auckland, NZ

VWA 11.5.1

17"iMac, 512MB RAM

Clipper

The QT movie "WD11CornerBayWindows.mov" which comes with Architect Australia + NZ will show you how to do a corner window. It is located in the Architect Australia + NZ folder inside the VectorWorks 11 Help folder.

Alternatively therer are movies on WinDoor 11 which can be downloaded from the OzCAD website www.ozcad.com.au

Follow the links Products/Add-ons/WinDoor

[ 08-07-2005, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

David

Not directly, but if you select the option of having jambs at the corners it will give you a simulation of a corner post the same size as the window jamb depth. It would then be relatively easy to add the veneer around by creating simple extrusions in the required locations.

[ 08-08-2005, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

• 7 months later...

Corner windows are common in the UK as well. I have purchased Julians Windoor, it is well worth buying, but I agree with Mike and I think it should be included in the Architect package.

You know, the rest of the world is a lot bigger than the usa even if it doesnt appear that way to some.

Windoor produces very good corner and bay windows with its options for walls above and below. It can also do "L' shaped door/window units which VW cannot. Plus you can have doors and windows in the same unit, and many different types of doors and windows as well.

The only drawback to WinDoor corner and bay windows is that they are separate units butted up to the adjoining walls. They cannot be made to profile to the roof using the Fit to Roof command, and in hidden line views the vertical junction with the adjoining walls shows.

PS - just about every architectural magazine I look at has examples of corner windows. Even Architectural Record.

[ 03-16-2006, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

I agree with Mike and Sean and I'm a Yank. It's not just about being focused on any perceived majority of users. It's about NNA offering only 80% from their plug-ins.

Why not buy a lease from Oz-cad and recover the cost in Architect or the Design series. Or how much more would VW Architect cost if NNA took the iniative in house and offered full functionality here?

[ 03-16-2006, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: bc ]

Agreed, I was fully expecting this as part of v12 and was disappointed to find it missing.

I've worked on a number of UK and NZ projects now that have needed corner windows, including small houses to 10 storey buildings.

But I don't think NNA should licence WinDoor, they should take the lead and build on it.

I have a lot of trouble convincing others in our office that we should use Plug-in Objects and my biggest obstacle is the often severe limits of PIOs (getting less severe with every new version).

If you can't make the vast majority of windows using the Plug-in Object then it simply becomes an extra tool/method you have to learn, as far as many people are concerned.

Absolutely, the comment on NNA offering 80% is dead on. I realize that Vectorworks costs much less than other BIM type cad packages but it would be nice to be able to choose Vectorworks for it's superior functionality as well as its price. Right now it seems like vectorworks is focused more on the design/build or contractor market. It's easy to make a tract home with it but when you actually start designing, the holes begin to appear. They claim that it's software designed by Architects, perhaps it is a case of needing to find some Architects who can consult on what a 3d building modeling package really needs to do to be able to be used by the 20% who are really pushing the design side and not the production housing side. If Vectorworks could achive that, they would be ahead of even their much more expensive rivals.