What is class overrides and how is it used?

In the OIP of a Sheet Layer Viewport you can select "Classes".  "Viewport Class Properties" will open.  Select a Class and click the "Edit..." button at the bottom of the list.  Any changes you make to the Class in the following window will only be visible in the Viewport and won't change the Class itself.  The Class icon in the "Viewport Class Properties" window will change to show that there's an Override. There's a "Revert" button on the bottom right.

Important to note that class overrides only work on the attributes of an object which are controlled by the object’s class. Attributes which are set by object aren’t effected by view port class overrides.

This is one of the reasons I like to use classes to control an object’s attributes. 

Edited by Boh
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Boh said:

Important to note that class overrides only work on the attributes of an object which are controlled by the object’s class. Attributes which are set by object aren’t effected by view port class overrides.

This is one of the reasons I like to use classes to control an object’s attributes. 

The other thing to add to this is Materials. If you are using Materials as the means of assigning attributes to your components/objects, again class overrides won't work: you need instead to use Data Visualisation when you want to change the attributes of those objects/components.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

Thanks everyone. What does the Class overrides checkbox do? The tool tip says something about a design layer. I did not test that. Do you use this checkbox?

847372287_ScreenShot2022-02-12at8_10_33AM.png.4191af03ede95e3c1e83c18ccaac8075.png

These checkboxes are only relevant if your SLVP contains a Design Layer Viewport embedded within it. They determine whether the class overrides you apply to the SLVP will also apply to the DLVP or not: the checkboxes control how the DLVP element of the SLVP responds to the class overrides you apply to the SLVP.

At least that's my understanding! I've only ever really used referenced DLVPs + these settings don't apply to them... So in most cases I think you can probably just ignore these settings.

• Like 2