Getting 'callout/keynotes' into a worksheet.

I've been trying to figure this out myself but can't seem to get it solved.

I wanted to get the data from my notes on a sheet layer into a worksheet so that I can use the data to help me organize my drawings.

1. For my first attempt I tried creating a report using “object type is call out” but the options for records for callouts seem to just be bubble style, shadow extend, shoulder leader angle, etc.

More data ‘about’ the keynote or note then what's ‘in’ the keynote or note.

I've poked around a bit and can't figure this one out.

Is there a worksheet/report function I'm missing?

2. My second attempt was to turn all my notes into 'key notes'.

I then select the keynote legend - drag it to copy - and then ungroup to get a group of text objects.

I then tried to select all the text objects, copy them, and then paste them into a worksheet (by selecting a single cell and hitting control V).

This doesn't work.

3. In the end the only thing I've found that works for me is to take my 'second attempt' group of text objects - select each text object individually - and paste each text object individually into a worksheet cell.

This obviously is not automated.

NOTE: I have NOT tried using data tags and exporting data into a worksheet this way yet… My initial attempts at making a data tag that connects with ANYTHING (symbol, group, polygon, plant, etc.) have ended with me getting the message "You have chosen a  data tag that has no eligible objects…"

Or that the datatag just doesn't link to everything I need it too.

Plus no quick text field like the callout tool.

Plus I'm not even sure if I can extract text data into a worksheet from a datatag...

NOTE 2:  What I have been trying to do is this

I create a 'scope of work' sheet layer where I put a callout/keynote on every major landscape feature and then generate a 'scope of work' list.

I then create a worksheet where I note (for myself only) if the feature is noted on my material sheet, my layout sheet, and/or needs an individual detail sheet.

I've found that this helps me organize my drawings early on for documentation.

Maybe someone has a better workflow for me!

Global editing of callouts via worksheets is really useful however the notes database manager has improved somewhat in the last couple of vw releases so I try to use that to globally maintain note consistency  across a file. Editing the callout note text via a worksheet can break the link to the database.

i also now use worksheets as replacements for keynote legends on each drawing sheet as I found multiple keynote legend objects could make my computer sloe down when editing keynotes.

• Like 2

The only fields in a worksheet database that you can type into are fields with a formula like ='Record'.'Field'.  The data has to be stored someplace that is attached to the object.

So for many of the default PIOs this can be a User Field. (='Door'.'UserField1'). Or you can attach a custom record and use a field there.  ='Hollister'.'Notes Field'

HTH

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Hollister Design Studio wrote:

"NOTE: I have NOT tried using data tags and exporting data into a worksheet this way yet… My initial attempts at making a data tag that connects with ANYTHING (symbol, group, polygon, plant, etc.) have ended with me getting the message "You have chosen a  data tag that has no eligible objects…"

Or that the datatag just doesn't link to everything I need it too.

Plus no quick text field like the callout tool.

Plus I'm not even sure if I can extract text data into a worksheet from a datatag..."

I am having the same issue.   How do I make an object "eligible" to be recognized by a Data Tag?  Or, am I stuck using Data Tags that are already pre-made to recognize specific objects.  For example, I have a warehouse full of racking.  I would love to use the All Eligible Objects mode to tag all of the racks at once with a prefix and incremental numbers.  As another example, I have 6 different electrical distributer types.  I would love to tag each type all at once like I would a specific door type. 

Can information be pulled from a Data Tag into a Worksheet?

Thank you!