11.5.1 complaints

tibwag

Hi --

I'm new to this list but not new to VW. I started using it in its MiniCad persona at about version 4, so I'm not new at all. However, this upgrade to 11.5.1 is driving me nuts! I don't like it at all! Now i have to admit, I upgraded from 9.2, and I know that's a huge jump, but this is ridiculous. I'm on a Mac powerbook G4, also new, and running OS 10.3, and using a Wacom tablet. Again, I've been using a tablet for years to work with VW, but this isn't a happy combo. VW seems much slower than the old version on my old Mac G3 powerbook (OS 9.2), and it randomly scrolls down the drawing for no reason. I'm also findng the symbols hard to use -- double clicking has to be done more than once to change from one to the next, and editing them is silly. A separate menu for that? And why, when I do edit a symbol, does VW tell me each time I insert the new symbol, that it can't be grouped while in a wall? Help me! [Confused][Frown]

we have the exact same configuration as you, and have had years of success with VW, from version 6 on up. we have had no problems with 11.5.1 so far. everything is working well.

you might need to take a look at your prefernces for some of your issues. it also sound like you are overwhelmed by the diffenves between 9.2 to 11.5 (thats quite a jump to make if one combo upgrade!).

you might itemize you complaints specifically so that others can logically give you some help...

Patience makes thy heart grow fonder ... and yes ... goin from 9 to 11.5.1 is way far to jump over all the bumps... not something I would want to try .. that's for sure. I also use VW11.5 on my PBG4 with no issues whatsoever. But this is after many hours/days/weeks/months/years of config & frustrations & upgrades of OSX & VW ...gettin things to work together.

Tibwag, that is a huge jump - maybe there is something to be said for keeping up with upgrades, after all, you have had several years of not having to learn new things while the rest of us were struggling with little increments, although they didn't seem like that at the time.

One thing that changed in that time was the Object Iinformation Palette (OIP) and the resource palette. These took me some time to get used to, in particular the fact that if you have modified an object using the OIP, you have to click away from the object (deselect it) then click on it again if you want to do something else with it. Daft, quite daft - I call it the tyranny of the OIP.

David W

Auckland, NZ

VWA 11.5.1

17"iMac, 512MB RAM

quote:

Originally posted by tibwag:

Hi --

I'm new to this list but not new to VW. I started using it in its MiniCad persona at about version 4, so I'm not new at all. However, this upgrade to 11.5.1 is driving me nuts! I don't like it at all! Now i have to admit, I upgraded from 9.2, and I know that's a huge jump, but this is ridiculous. I'm on a Mac powerbook G4, also new, and running OS 10.3, and using a Wacom tablet. Again, I've been using a tablet for years to work with VW, but this isn't a happy combo. VW seems much slower than the old version on my old Mac G3 powerbook (OS 9.2), and it randomly scrolls down the drawing for no reason. I'm also findng the symbols hard to use -- double clicking has to be done more than once to change from one to the next, and editing them is silly. A separate menu for that? And why, when I do edit a symbol, does VW tell me each time I insert the new symbol, that it can't be grouped while in a wall? Help me!
[Confused][Frown]

I'm going to have to google the "Wacom tablet". Any comments on tablet?

Good luck tibwag [big Grin]

thanks,

dp

the tablet is a powerful tool for us. comes in several sizes and can be proportioned to the screen size of the powerbook through the tablet's utilities. i have found the finger pad a little cramped for me, co the tablet is comfortable and hase better more ntural functions for drawing over the mouse...

quote:

Originally posted by jfmarch:

the tablet is a powerful tool for us. comes in several sizes and can be proportioned to the screen size of the powerbook through the tablet's utilities. i have found the finger pad a little cramped for me, co the tablet is comfortable and hase better more ntural functions for drawing over the mouse...

I checked out the Walcom webpage. I will have to think about this!... Thanks [Cool]

the one thing about symbols that seems really awkward is double clicking them should be to open/edit a symbol, and single clicking on one should be for selecting it for inserting a symbol....

i'm constantly trying to edit a symbol, only to find i've just selected it for insertation...

anybody else think that this seems awkward for what in every other program would be to open/edit? (double click)

(or is there a preference i can set?) i've tried to make a quick type key... customize but with no success....

Hi, folks!

Many thanks for your replies and encouragement. I've talked to tech support more times than I care to admit, and they've been very helpful. Main thing was, apparently, a corrupted installation of 11, which was simply continued into 11.5 and 11.5.1. So nothing was working right. After uninstalling and re- all of the above, I'm now up and running. HOORAY! BUT there's one more annoying thing: even though I set the prefs to NOT offset duplications, they're always offset. grr. Any ideas?

Again, mny thanks!