Plant schedule trouble! (VWX 2021)

Bunbun

Question

I hope someone can help! - Spent most of the day tearing my hair out with a simple planting plan and plant schedule. First, I drew out landscape areas in design space with tags. Despite fiddling for hours (making custom tags, fiddling with fonts in classes etc,) couldn't get the text to scale properly in the viewport so it showed as tiny planting beds and huge text.

Then I tried drawing the landscape areas as annotation in the viewport which looked perfect but now I can't seem to get the planting list / report to show any of the plants despite having redone it over and over again. Maybe this can't be done on a sheet layer?

I've done planting plans perfectly in previous versions of VWX - has something changed in 2021 or am I being dumb?!

Can anyone help? 

I attach a file.

212. PLANTING forum.vwx

6 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Bunbun said:

I hope someone can help! - Spent most of the day tearing my hair out with a simple planting plan and plant schedule. First, I drew out landscape areas in design space with tags. Despite fiddling for hours (making custom tags, fiddling with fonts in classes etc,) couldn't get the text to scale properly in the viewport so it showed as tiny planting beds and huge text.

Then I tried drawing the landscape areas as annotation in the viewport which looked perfect but now I can't seem to get the planting list / report to show any of the plants despite having redone it over and over again. Maybe this can't be done on a sheet layer?

I've done planting plans perfectly in previous versions of VWX - has something changed in 2021 or am I being dumb?!

Can anyone help? 

I attach a file.

212. PLANTING forum.vwx 3.5 MB · 2 downloads

place your plants in design layers

set design layer scale to same as you sheet viewport scale.

You are off by a facto off 5 right now, perhaps that’s your issue.

Not to sound harsh, but maybe watch the tutorial on Vectorworks University on creating planting areas and review the fundaments of how VWX creates plug in style takes?  Have you tried data tags instead?

Thanks Jeff

Not harsh at all, thanks for your reply. I have watched what I could find on planting.

No, haven't tried data tags. I'm just wanting a simple plan with simple schedule to cost but I'll try your suggestions and see if they work. 

Many thanks!

• Like 1

Jeff I struggle with a ton of stuff and it seems as if you can get bits and pieces VWU and help but its tough to get the full picture on any one thing. The various functions of VW are complex.  I always search you tube too.  The thing that's helped me the most is one on one training.  VW has some good trainers that can walk you through the nuance.  This is coming from a technological novice so none of this is intuitive to me.  I use novice generously.  I bought a block of ten hours and will likely buy another block soon.  There are also a few trainings coming up...of course it all costs $$$.

53 minutes ago, Landartma said:

Jeff I struggle with a ton of stuff and it seems as if you can get bits and pieces VWU and help but its tough to get the full picture on any one thing. The various functions of VW are complex.  I always search you tube too.  The thing that's helped me the most is one on one training.  VW has some good trainers that can walk you through the nuance.  This is coming from a technological novice so none of this is intuitive to me.  I use novice generously.  I bought a block of ten hours and will likely buy another block soon.  There are also a few trainings coming up...of course it all costs $$$.

They have really improved VWX Uni in recent years.  The first thing people should do is watch one of these learning paths, they are comprehensive.    YouTube can really get you into trouble… talk about bits and pieces 🙂

https://university.vectorworks.net/local/programallocate/index.php?id=4

https://university.vectorworks.net/local/programallocate/index.php?id=1

I did the core certification very helpful but its really just a start.  VXU is really the same.  I get into situations where I get stuck just don't know what to do.  I go back to the videos frequently but its time consuming.  I imagine its not everyone but its a steep learning curve for me as I can't be on the machine everyday.

Here is what I just posted.  

Jeff / Landartma

I found a tutorial on University which is called "A deep dive into planting plans."  This is the most comprehensive thing I've found about planting, which is helpful.

I basically started the whole planting plan I had from scratch which has been really time consuming to set up libraries of plants, tag styles etc. but once this is done, it seems that it should save time.

Thanks for your advice.

• Like 1