odd shaped staircase

I am creating an odd shaped staircase, one that tapers in before it takes a left turn. The only way I can seem to create this is by creating a staircase wider than I need and using the subract solids command from the model menu to subract the area of the stair that I don't need. I then have a problem getting the handrails to work because the handrail command doesn't recognize the stair as a stair anymore. Is there a better way to create this shaped stair.

Thanks.

Whoa ... sounds like you're creating another Winchester Mystery House. The PIO is based on the basic rectangle. ideally, you will use NURBS for both the stairs and the associated 'weird' railing.

Begin by Ungrouping the PIO and tweeking it from there.

Are you designing sets for Director Tim Burton ?

The stair is not as strange as it sounds, and it is for a real house, but strangely enough, I have designed sets for a Tim Burton film. I will try to ungroup the PIO and tweak it from there. Will the handrail tool still work on this after I ungroup and tweak it or will I have to create this independently?

Thanks