Site Model Grade Tool

Landartma

I'm recreating yesterdays site model which got lost in cyberspace due to back up failure so be sure to check your back up settings.  I'm creating a site model using the stake tool.  I have an area which has approximately 2% grades (based on the eyeball method).  Can the grade tool be used to create Source Data for the creation of a site model?  I'm seeing it can be used once the site model is done but can it be used before?  I'm sitting here with a couple knowns...top of foundation interpolated FFE assuming 2x12 rafters and 1.5" sheething and flooring.  Maybe should add in for a sill plate but....it will be accurate enough.   I'm taking grades I shot and calculating the grades around the house in reference to the FFE with a calculator.  I'm doing the calculations from my station to individual spots where I don't know slope exactly.  If I can avoid calculator work that would save me some time.  Thoughts anyone.

BTW check out @jeffprince is doing with Drones and Lidar.